candycane rose

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, May 22, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi everyone I have a question, I have a candy cane rose Last year it was beautiful, I had pics, in my garden. But this year it had one red and white candy cane rose on it and the rest of them are red just plain red, oh it's pretty and full of blooms but when they come out they are all red, What do you all think? I really loved it last year, it was different than any I had seen before. Please help, I want my candy cane rose back.

Thank you Margie :'(

[​IMG]
    Candy Cane Rose ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Aderek
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. harrylee
      Replies:
      Views:

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I am interested in the answer to this question too, Margie. This year, my yellow climbing rose that has bloomed yellow for years, had about half the blooms come in orange! I love orange so I didn't mind but it was a curious thing to me. It is planted pretty close to my neighbor's red rose -- did they corss pollinate to make orange blossoms?

I hope someone can tell you how to get your candy cane rose to stay candy cane. It is beautiful.

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Candy candy rose

Well Daisy beans, You made me think, when you said cross pollination, I dug up all my roses this spring, They weren't doing to good so I was going to put them some where else, So in the mean time I put them in a bucket of water, I put all of them in the same bucket even the candy cane one, do you think they could have cross pollinated in the water there together, I had them in there together for about a month.What do you think?

Margie

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Whatever the reason, Margie...that is a beautiful rose. Never seen the candy cane variety before.

DB, I bet your 'orange' rose is beautiful as well. Can you post a pic of it?

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I don't know Margie -- I sure hope someone who does will answer that question!
    KG -- it was really pretty and a neat surprise. I just haven't taken the time to ost a pic but I did take one.

7. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

ROSES

Hi everyone Well remember I told you all about the candy cane rose that turned all red, Well know I have a red rose that has turned from red to orange and know back to Bright red,This was one of the roses that was in the bucket of water to, That water was some powerful stuff it done something to all four of my roses, I've never heard of anything like this, Has anyone else?

Thank you all Margie

P.S. I'm really not crazy, I hope not any way. :stew2: :-?

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Usually the cause of Roses changing color is because they are blooming from the rootstock rather than the grafted top. Does the branch with the odd blooms come from an old cane Margie?

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Yeh, I have had a rose change also. It reverted to the root stock. I was bummed. Seems the root stock is often much hardier than what's grafted onto them. (Makes them faster for the growers to get to market)

Although not always as vigorous as the grafted varieties I have started roses from small cuttings. That way I don't have to worry about loosing my favorites.

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That explains why my yellow rose had orange blooms on half of the bush. One half of it was broken off at the ground in the snow this past winter and a shoot came out from below where it broke. The roses on that part were orange. The rest stayed yellow.

Really interesting, Netty and Jewell. Thanks for that info.