Clematis from seed

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by gardenelf, May 6, 2015.

1. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

A few years ago (can't exactly remember how many) I decided it would be fun to try and grow clematis from seed. I bought Clematis Montana "Rubens" to try, and of course the first year nothing happened. After a year or so, I got so impatient, I dug around in the soil (in an ordinary small plastic container outdoors). Nothing to be found, big disappointment. Left it in a corner, forgot all about it again. Months later, I suddenly noticed a couple of small green seedlings appearing. This is what one of them looks like now:

20150505_161928.jpg

Again, bit blurred, but you get the idea. It is much bigger than this, it's against a trelis climbing up via a honeysuckle. The latter will at some point be taken out completely.

Below are 2 Clematis Cirrhosa sown December 2013, and Clematis Fusijama, sown so long ago I can't remember. All I know is that I had completely given up on the Fusijama & taken out it's label with sowing details. You can imagine the big grin on my face when I discovered these little green sprouts :D

20150506_180427.jpg

20150506_180413.jpg

Growing Clematis from seed isn't difficult, all you need is a LOT (like, years) of patience. Worth it, though! :cool::stew1:

Jewell, donm and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

What great looking plants you have there. I never thought of growing clematis from seed.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never attempted to grow clematis from seed either. After reading your post and seeing the results (even if they took ages) I think I may be tempted to try doing some seed planting myself. They say patience is a virtue so let's hope I have plenty to spare.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Now, that's what I call a result!
    That was good work, GardenE.
    I just put in a young Clematis montana 'rubens' this spring as well. My bride convinced me not cut the flowers off though...so the root development will be retarded. :(

BTW-- do you prune your Rubens? I have tried pruning them and NOT pruning them. The majority of opinions that I have read on the internet advise against pruning.

6. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Eileen, if I were you I'd go for it: choose which type of clematis you'd like to grow (there are sooooo many), buy some good quality seeds (or get them from friends), sow them & see what happens! :stew1:

Sjoerd, last year I did cut off a few straggly stems that were growing too long, but it hadn't flowered yet then. This year I won't cut anything off, because I want it to grow over the wall. I'll probably just give it a little snip here and there whenever it's getting a bit unruly. Oh, and cutting off the spent flowers means: no seedheads. They can look rather pretty in winter, when they are all frosted over :)