Distinguishing Between Herbs

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Jun 29, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Some plants are quite similar and difficult to tell apart. For instance, Queen Anne's Lace and Poison Hemlock. For safety, please do not ingest either of them.

[​IMG]
    Queen Anne's Lace II ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

this is a close up of Queen Anne's Lace.

[​IMG]
    Queen Anne's Lace ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

This is a more overall view.

I noticed this morning that Daniel had a picture posted of 'an unknown flower', which is actually poison hemlock. I wrote him a note.

Hemlock is very deadly. I am trying to pull and remove all of it that I can before it goes to seed. Both plants have seeds that stick to your clothing.
    But the Queen Anne's Lace has fine white fuzz on its stems, and the flowerets are in a single large cluster, while the Hemlock has smooth hairless stems and multiple small clusters.

Perhaps some of you know of other herbs that are difficult to distinguish from each other ? Back in the 90s, they had a news report of a local man who tried to make herb tea with Queen Anne's Lace, but got Hemlock by mistake. He was dead within a few minutes and nothing could be done.

I believe this is the poison they used on one of the Greek philosphers back in ancient times, Plato perhaps.

Karrma likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. HerbGod15
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

wild carrot and hemlock indistiguishable also

I just found out wild carrot is the same as Queen Anne's Lace. We did have two cases of inadvertent hemlock poisoning last year. One was lethal, the other person knew immediately what might have happened and got help fast. He had just harvested what he thought was re-seeded carrots from his garden, and had not ingested any food, but got some on his hands.

Need to use gloves, wash all clothing after pulling out the hemlock herb. Different from the tree hemlock.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Do you know if the tree hemlock is poisonous ? I think it is an evergreen tree.

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This is a helpful post. I knew hemlock herb was poisonous but I had no idea that it was that potent. Thank you.

6. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Hemlock tree

the hemlock tree or Tsuga sieboldii is not poisonous.

However, learning how to forage in the wild is a pretty complex and sometimes risky pleasure, and would want a text with lots of clear, precise pictures, and lots of expert editing.

At home, I like the idea of a separate garden for my edible herbs and the few poisonous/medical herbs that I feel comfortable growing in my garden. Historically, there was a separate kitchen herb garden from the medical herb gardens, and it makes sense to me. Especially if you were wanting to harvest a root, such as horseradish, versus belladona, after the plant leaves had died back.