New Potting Bench/Storage Cabinet

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Apr 13, 2011.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hubby & I share what's called the "garage"... which is really a storage area... and his workshop... and then there's all the gardening stuff. Not to mention, we just hang out there at times watching the birds at the feeder, etc. Anyhow... I've been needing my own work space. Sorta hard to pot plants etc when he has his tools all over the work bench. So... I requested (okay... maybe it was more of a demand) my own potting bench. Showed him a couple of designs I found online and the project began.

Then I realized that he could combine another project I had in mind for him. A storage bench for the outdoor chair cushions. So about midway through the project, the plans evolved.
    The 2x4s and plywood are treated so they should last quite a while. Used old cedar fencing for the trim. The top is some linoleum tiles from a friend.

[​IMG]
    potters bench ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

He did most of the work... but I must boast that I was in charge of the final details. Or what I call "slapping some cute-i-fication on it". Which basically meant I did the painting and some caulking and added some trim and hooks. There's one on the other side just to hang water hose/sprayer. And I don't know why the doors look so awful in this photo... they really are solid green with a triple coat of paint. Must just be the way the sun was hitting it. But... maybe I should put another coat of paint????
    Anyhow... the bench isn't completely water tight,so the cushions remain in this plastic case thingy.

[​IMG]
    potters bench-inside ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

There's room for a few more things in there too.
    I plan on getting a couple plastic "tubs" to fit underneath just for the potting soil, fertilizer, etc.
    I intended to wait until it was all set up before I posted photos... but I just couldn't wait!
    Oh... and last but definitely not least... the door knobs. I scrounged through my dad's old junk and found these old glass knobs and original screws. Just HAD to use them!

[​IMG]
    glass knobs ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Now... no more dirt all over the "garage" floor.. and my very own work space! Woohoo!
    Hmmm... I think I need some new plants to pot up, right?

:D

2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think this is one of the best examples of what our imaginations can do! :)

Of course, in my case (to save both time and energy) - I use AutoCAD 3D. Because the best design is the one which keeps on evolving. Which is why I first make everything in virtual space, try it out in every imaginable way (and so make improvements wherever they are needed). And only when I am fully satisfied, do I start actual work on it.

Those who think AutoCAD 3D will be too complicated and costly, can easily opt for Google SketchUp - Which is totally for free! And that's not the only free CAD out there, the Internet is full of may more good ones! Just give it a try once, and you'll never go back to doing things the old way.

Only your imagination will be the limit. And so your productivity will shoot through the roof! Plus you won't even get tired when designing it on your PCs, as you'll be able to do it late at nights too, (without the sounds of hammering, drilling, and sawing which would wake up the neighbors). :)

Here's an example of what I've been designing in my free time (with AutoCAD). It's a multi machine, able to do the work of a drill press, a lathe, as well as a milling machine - Only thing left to add are the capabilities of a 3D pantograph. So once I have it all set just the way I'd like in virtual space, I'll start making it for real! After which I will be able to do any kind of work when it comes to shaping metal, wood, and plastics...

[​IMG]
    My multi machine! ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh cheryl you have GOT to get some plants to pot up. After all the new potting bench has to be christened doesn't it? It's a real work of art and I love it. How about you and hubby coming to Scotland for a holiday? I promise not to make either of you work too hard in my garden. ;)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's not fair--you have a green thumb AND a potting bench! That is a super potting bench, and pretty, too.
    Everything is so tidy--clean tools hanging, pots on those beautiful metal shelves, a pretty basket. Please don't tell me you are just naturally neat--I couldn't take it at this stage of jealousy.
    Your hubby did well, and has my approval. You may keep him.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Your new bench looks fantastic! I also like the shelves on either side of it.
    What a great work area!!

7. cherylad

Thanks everyone. I'll get plenty of use out of it. And that thing is so heavy, I doubt it would budge even during a hurricane! So I plan on having it around for a very long time.
    Eileen.... when's a good time for us to come for a long holiday?? I can be ready to go by morning!
    Jane... I have to admit. Yes. I'm that tidy. One of my "illnesses" is organization. Everything has to be in it's place. Once it's used... it goes right back there. I've been that way for as long as I can remember. I love things with compartments and dividers. I even used to separate my Halloween candy by types!
    Netty... what you can't see about the shelves is one is green and the other blue. I have the paint to redo the blue one to match. Also... that one shelf that you can't see has junk just piled there. Once I get it painted I'll get it cleaned up.
    And of course, filled with some freshly potted plants!
    So much for me staying away from the garden center!

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

A gardener's dream of a bench Cheryl, definitely a good reason to get more plants and 'test' the bench to make sure it works.

Jerry

9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

The design! Someone please upload the design (so we all can make it)! :)

10. cherylad

Sorry S-H... there was no "official" design. I just showed him a couple of photos. Told him how wide and tall it should be. The rest is just "what he did".

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great job on the potting bench, I have wanted one for so long and it looks like I will have to keep using an outdoor table.....

12. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Thanks for sharing Cheryl.

I'd love to have a potting bench like that maybe one day.

I do like the design though, especially the top shelf to put trays on to give extra work space. And the space under the bench for tubs of soil and potting mix.

13. eileen

Get your bags packed girl!! I'm ready and waiting with lots of odds and ends for you and your OH to make lovely things for my garden. I promise to make you endless cups of tea, supply you with meals and even take you our for a day if I can get a workbench just like yours. :p Ian says he'll be your labourer if he gets treated well by me too. ;)

14. cherylad

Eileen.... now comes the hard part... how to get Hubby on the plane! He's never flown and has no intention of every flying. There's always "by sea"... but he gets nervous even going out in a boat when he's out of swimming distance of land! :-D

15. eileen

Just give him a nice strong sedative and he'll be fine. :D :D I can arrange for a pick-up to take him to the airport and my two strong sone to lift him on to the plane. So you see there's a solution to every problem!! :p

16. cherylad

I dunno Eileen... it might just be easier to build your stuff here ship them to you! No sedatives required. :D :D