Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by username16218, May 26, 2013.

1. username16218

username16218 Guest

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The yellow bottom leaves are typical of clumps of daylilies. As the plant gets larger the older bottom leaves are shaded by the upper growth. I would be more concerned if the upper leaves turned yellow. Most likely the leaf damage is caused by a slug. Monitoring the plant and removing the mollusk helps. Look for daytime hiding places, under a pot or similar refuge from the sun. If the chewing continues, slugs like beer. A saucer of beer will attract them and the inebriated slugs around.

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

The Asiatic lilies are suseptible to red lily beetle. They are awful! Will kill a plant in no time. The mature beetles are bright red, the larvae are drab ?brown & coat themselves in their own manure (pretty disgusting). I sure hope you don't have lily beetles!

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

While I do not have an Asiatic lily, the pictured plant growth looks to be new enough to still be light green. Where I would be concerned is if the leaves turned from the darker green to light green. Then you would have a serious problem. Have the leaves changed? Is this the first year you have had these plants?

Jerry

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

I have had good luck making a ring of aluminum foil around a plant. I have also had good luck with DE (diatomaceous earth), although the DE has to be renewed after a rain.

6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

How do you make and out the ring of aluminum foil? Is there any instructions?

7. Cayuga Morning

Tina--I think I read somewhere that a ring of copper can be a good deterrent for slugs--something about it giving them a slight electrical shock. I didn't use copper as it was too expensive, so substituted aluminum. It is not as conductive, but did seem to work. Just make a ring around the plant, burying the aluminum slightly in the soil. Think of it being a barrier & you'll get the idea.

8. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thank You!!