Spirea Bridal Veil -- how I trimmed it.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by daisybeans, Jul 1, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This is my Spirea Bridal Veil that is growing in the front yard. Last year as I was about to trim it, I noticed a tiny fledgling hiding inside, so I didn't trim it that day -- and then I didn't get around to it the rest of the season. So it was awfully unruly this year. It was about 8 ft by 8 ft and not looking very happy or healthy with half of it falling over... and full of leaves and sticks. I hated to trim it so late -- it may affect next years blooms some, but on the other hand, so would leaving it in such an overgrown state. I trimmed mostly old growth and some newer stems around the outside perimeter... I dont' usually trim it so tightly -- it generally likes to be sort of rounder in shape but I think in the Spring, the new growth will fluff out gracefully.

This shrub has been here for about 38 years -- my mom and I dug it up when I was about 10 or so from a vacant lot before it was bulldozed for a building to be constructed. I remember bringing it home in the trunk of the car!

[​IMG]
    Spirea Bridal Veil - Before ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Spirea Bridal Veil -- after trimming ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. LilyJunkie
      Replies:
      Views:

3. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

DB I bet it is gorgeous when it blooms. Don't think I have seen one that tall. Be sure and take a picture when it blooms next year. I think the bridal veil shrubs are so pretty.

4. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

dont know anything about that shrub but i like the story of how you got it.

the trim looks good!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think it will look great come spring. Sometimes a good hard pruning does wonders for shrubs. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I can get a little trim-happy so I have to watch out, Eileen, but I feel pretty confident that it will rebound in Spring, too. This one has a previous history of looking very pretty, KG -- I'll show you in the Spring. GN -- that thing was bigger than I was when we snagged it! The root ball filled up the trunk and hung out all the way home. My mom was a trip when it came to garden things. Talk about memories (thinking of how you are creating garden memories and traditions with your boys!)!

7. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

We have a Bridlewreath Spirea in one of our gardens too. My husband calls it 'Sideshow Bob' after the cartoon character who had very unruly hair in 'The Simpsons'.

[​IMG]
    sideshow Bob ( photo / image / picture from Canadian Chelsea's Garden )

I trimmed it drastically last year so now it has a much neater appearance.

8. carolo43

carolo43 New Seed

Looks great. I used to trim all my yard shrub up from the ground like that, even my lilac's. Let's in more light and less animals.......and easier for lawn mowing.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think you did an amazing job! I love that story!!!

10. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

DB, like most gardeners, you have a tender heart for critters and plants.
    After so many years in the yard, that plant is like a member of the family!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It looks like you did an excellent job of pruning that Spirea. I am willing to bet that it will look super next spring.
    Thast bush has a nice history attatched to it.
    You've got talent! :)

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thank you for all the encouragement and comments -- you're all so nice to me. We are definately a bunch of tender hearts, I do agree. I think it will look good in the Spring. It looks happier already. Sideshow Bob is a hilarious analogy!

13. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Is there also a Bridal Veil Vine, Daisybeans? I've seen pictures. I love the lacy blooms. I don't blame you for saving this lovely shrub.

14. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I just googled bridal veil vine and found Stephanotis and here is a coincidence -- this plant used to grow in my neighbor's yard when I lived in Norfolk, VA and a couple of weeks ago, I was trying to remember the name of it to see if i could grow it here. Couldn't find it then to save my life. But here it is. It's a pretty vine and the blossoms smell just WONDERFUL!

http://www.plant-care.com/stephanotis-t ... plant.html