Topiary Frames

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Jewell, May 30, 2009.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I am always admiring something I see in a store or on TV, or read about. If I see it I am always sure I can do it myself (where talent fails, confidence soars :D )

For many years I have admired topiaries. I tried trimming plants to unusual and not natural (to the plant) forms. Actually had a rosemary plant that was 3 balled tiers before the top two died. That was the success. Killed a couple of other small trees that I over pruned (undeniable failures).

I even tried one summer to make a topiary frame out of chicken wire. I had read about this DIY project and was sure I could use some scrap wire and do it. Scratches and bleeding fingers and arms later reality set in. Oh well....

Then two years ago a cheap outdoor wired and lighted Christmas deer died. I thought "TOPIARY!" No thoughts of restringing this dead animated creature, it was going to be an ivy covery deer topiary.

[​IMG]
    Topiary Deer ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

Ok, I haven't followed through like I should. Winter was very hard this year on the ivy and the front legs got goofy (too thick and need some reworking), but over all I think this is the way to go. Topiary frames are exceptionally expensive. Christmas animals, and tree forms can be found at gargage sales, and after Christmas sales cheap, cheap.

[​IMG]
    Topiary Deer ( photo / image / picture from Jewell2009's Garden )

The lighted buck with antlers also had his lights die last Christmas. Maybe this summer I'll get him staked out for a nice little topiary also. This time I'm spray painting the frame to camouflage it. That way it will blend in more.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. kaseylib
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What an great idea!! :D I would never have thought to use the 'dead' Christmas deer as a topiary frame. I agree with you about painting the next one so that it's camouflaged. However, the ivy on the one in your photograph will become more dense as the years pass so the frame won't be as noticeable. Hey you could end up with a lovely collection of topiary animals in your garden at a very reasonable price and they'll be the envy of your neghbourhood. :-D

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Great idea Jewell.It looks great and when you repaint it it will all blend together.I do love it with the ivy.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, delightful! You're so inventive. I like those creations, and would love to try one myself. Maybe a very small one in an out-of-the-way corner.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I do think they are fun. :-D Ivy makes a good plant material for them and I really like the varigated ivy. I am wondering if there are some other hardy plants that could easily cover topiary forms? :?: I am keeping them in pots (to donate to charity auctions) when they get properly filled-in. Am not sure that I want to fill the forms with moss, because water can be an issue for me.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

What a fantastic idea. You have a clever, clever mind, Jewell! Those will be such a nice contribution to a charity event too. Very unique.

As you know, I fight with vines of various kinds all summer. The one that grows CRAZY fast here is Wild Clematis -- clematis vitalba l. (I looked it up). I read that it is common where you are too. I'm of the mindset to work with the stuff that drives me the most crazy. I wonder if it would lend itself well to being used for a topiary?

You know, on second thought, that wouldn't work because the wild clematis is not evergreen. It would not work at all... Duh. What was I thinking?

8. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

WOw those look great!

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great idea!!