Tomato Update

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 23, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The weather's warming-up and so the toms are growing very well--in fact, it's time to sucker them and tie them up to the sticks for security.
    Most of the uckers removed.
    [​IMG]

The 'King Sucker' was left on each plant for extra yield. Then the main stalk was tied-in. When the king sucker had groen longer, it will be tied-in as well.
    [​IMG]
    We ate that big lettuce back by the watering can tonight in a salad. Yummmmm...tasty! It was the first this year.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Sjoerd. I still haven't had warm enough weather to get my veggies planted - there were actually snow flakes falling yesterday! I wish I had a greenhouse.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They're growing! :D I'd like a green house too, we had snow falling during the week-end, but luckily it didn't last.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You guys and your snow!.....BURRRRRRRRRR Just the thought. You folks need to re-negociate the snow option in your countries. ;)
    I hope that you can get your toms going soon, Netty. I shall be interested to see what you've got.

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Your toms look great! Mine are still little puny things,,lol. but it is finally warming up here. and last night was the first time i seen the sun over the land strip at midnight. that means 24 hours of sun comming right up. I have little mini greenhouses but they aren't big enough for tomato plants thats for sure.

I bet that first salad was just wonderful! You made my mouth water just waiting for mine,,,lol. Well done!!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Biita--it WAS! There is one more nig one in there, and it shall grace the bowls this evening...perhaps with black olives, feta cheeze and some olive oil. :p mmmmmm. My bride wants some pine nuts, but we may have to go to Amsterdam for those. We'll see.

I suggested to my partner that we plant the Jugoslavian lettuces in-between the old holes that the present lettuces are in. Their leaves will help hold-in moisture for the toms.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I wish my greenhouse had glass in it. At least my three tomato plants are doing well sitting at the patio doors. They look to be about the same size as your Sjoerd. Don't you just love the taste of home grown toms? :D

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Eileen...I sure do. I am passionate about that subject. :)
    The difference between them and store-bought is so startling.
    Many, many of my toms never make it into soups or salads...I just eat them right off the bush!

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh Sjeord imagine doing that!!! Now you'd never find me eating tomatoes straight off the plant. :rolleyes: Nope definately not. I carry them all the way over to the table and sit and munch them there!!! :D :D (The table is approx 1 and a half feet from the plants. LOL)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

:D ROAR......What willpower, Eils!

12. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

OK you guys are making my mouth water. There is nothing like tomatoes off the bush. My Dad always had a huge garden (when he was alive) and I miss that. I've not become brave enough to attempt veges yet, but I'm working up the nerve. I need to come up with some inventive way to find space for a vege garden. And I do really want a green house. Maybe someday...in the mean time I will enjoy all of yours!

13. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Your tom are looking great. I only have half as much as I planted. Heard others around this area were having the same problem. not sure why they died out, maybe mine were too wet. But I keep reseeding I'm determined I'm going to have tomatoes.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Y-E-S!....That's the attitude. I do the same thing. I always plant extra and if there are large failures, I just plant again. No worries--some just fruit later, but who cares!;)
    Just keep at it, you'll be ok.

15. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Yay. Fingers and toes crossed I am dragging the kids to the allotment tomorrow to get the rest of my tom plants in. I also need to buy a stack of bamboos as I have 2 varieties of runner beans to get in. I love warm toms picked straight from the vine and popped straight into your mouth. delicious!

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What kind of runners did you buy this year, EJ. I only planted one sort (for the first time ever). It was the lovely 'Sunset'. I just love those blooms and the taste of the beans, I really prefer.