The Word "Weed"

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Weedscaper, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

On another thread the issue was raised by Jewell that one person's weed is another person's plant.

Then there's people like me who don't mind using the term, but not always in a negative sense, because I let the prettier weeds grow, and my first instinct is not to pull them if they look like they might turn out interesting.

Whether applied positively or negatively, the term is undeniably imprecise. Any "weed" is actually a grass, wildflower, vine, etc.

A few years back I decided to remove the English Ivy from a 10 X 25 foot area behind the house. It required an enormous effort to dig, pry, and tear it out. I did some research and was surprised to find that this St. Louis area "garden staple" has officially been designated a noxious weed in the State of Washington.

Does the word "weed" have validity? Utility? Surely Crabgrass, the F Student of The Plant World, which slowly begins rotting in late September and hangs around for months, is a weed.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

When I was in school the definition for a weed was : any plant not in a desired location. It did not matter how desirable/costly the plant, but if it was growing in a place you didn't want it it was considered a weed.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Weedcaper--I have at times encouraged what appeared to me to be very pretty weeds only to discover their true intent: world domination. One such weed I have been actively trying to decimate for 10+ years. I admit, I have become obsessed with it. I have to restrain myself when I see it growing in a neighbor's garden. If the neighbor is not around to warn them of the threat, my urge is to surreptitiously pull the thing out!
    BTW, I like your avitar.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

In the spring all sorts of pretty weeds/wildflowers pop up. I've even trasplanted a few into my garden area. And that one time, I planted-up the old wheelbarrow with them. Nothing like a free flower.... as long as doesn't have thorns. :-D

Advertisement
  6. Weedscaper

Weedscaper New Seed

Thank you Cayuga M., I came across that cute little guy one night when I went out to put seed in the birdfeeder. He was about and inch and a half from nose to end. Not very friendly, but devastatingly handsome.

Encouraging any weed has risks, and it sounds like you drew the short straw from your experience. Have you tried to identify it? If you found out which family it belongs to, you could figure out how/when it reproduces. If I remember to put out the crab grass killer in March and July, it effectively stops the reproduction. I sure would hate to encourage a weed that annoys the neighbors!

On the "weed word" question, I think Carolyn's response is the concept I was groping for: any plant that just shows up is automatically "a weed."

This has me covered in all respects. There's no obligation to refer to the weed as a flower, shrub, etc. I didn't plant it, so it's a weed. As to whether it's pretty or crabby - no diff.

I suppose if I cultivate it (I certainly will try with my big tall white-flowered weed) I would say "it was a weed."

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Weedscaper's Garden )

Only one or two show up in this picture, but this graceful weed is covered in bees!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for helping me with an issue of mental hygiene.

Especially super model Cherylad.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't necessarily concider every germinated plant a weed. If it isn't what I want where I want it then yes it is a weed, but if I can move it to a more desirable place then it has become "not a weed" anylonger.
    Take marigolds for instance, they may germinate anywhere becoming a weed, but if you transplant it to a flowerbed/pot it was a bonus plant.
    Morning glories...always a weed! Goldenrod: to you it may be a weed but to me it is a crop via honey. It always is a dependable source of nectar.
    Iron weed: to me it is beautiful, but it is a weed. I am not sure if it has any value other than maybe a seed source for winter feeding of wild life.
    Pokeweed: for someone who would harvest it and use the spring greens it is a valuable plant, but to me it is a nuisance when the birds eat the berries and poop purple poop everywhere.

I think we all have a different concept of what a weed is, but if it isn't a plant you want where it is at it is considered a weed. Many "weeds" can be a great source of food or medicine if you know what to do with it.

Frank, Henry Johnson and Jewell like this.
  8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Carolyn, I love your response. I know many people in my area consider the sword ferns, Oregon grape and sala weeds since they are so common. That is changing as the suburbs and greens collectors for the florist industry take over.

I have always had a few natives (evergreen types) in my garden, but am now rethinking how I should be adding even more herbaceous types for insects. "Bringing Nature Home" by Douglas Tallamy makes a pretty good read. The importance of plants I once thought of as weeds is definitely changing. Finding the right plants/weeds is not always so easy.

Weedscaper, living in Washington state for 30 plus years I've seen huge changes in what is considered a weed. English ivy, butterfly bush, scotch broom, golden bamboo once popular (I have all but the scotch broom) are very troublesome in areas where they have taken over forests(ivy) fields or creek beds. I planted my ivy hedge after seeing one in Sunset Magazine. I still love the hedge but it is no longer PC. In Oregon state it is illegal to sell ivy, but the state highway dept. planted lots along the freeways around Portland back in the 1960's for beautification.

Weeds, love them, hate them, love them, hate them. You never know.

Cayuga Morning likes this.