……but it was on sale!!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hello. My name is Ronni, and I'm addicted to shopping. ;)

Actually, it's not quite that bad. I just love to shop. Interestingly, not for myself. I HATE to shop for myself. But I LOVE to search out those bargains, find great deals, locate the thing that no-one else can find, scoop up a Perfect Thing for some family member, that they don't even know they need till I give it to them! Or they DO know it, but haven't been able to find it at a price they are willing to pay.

At all times, I have a running list of things various family members need, that I'm always on the lookout for at a bargain price. I don't ever pay full price for anything….EVER! I'm a clearance rack person, a bargain finder, a discount store gal, a thrift store and garage sale shopper. I LOVE to shop that way and feel an enormous sense of accomplishment at not only finding a Right Thing for someone, but also finding it at a ridiculously low price!

Sometimes, just occasionally, I'll buy something that I personally have absolutely no need for, nor can I think of anyone else who might need it. But it's so awesome or cool or at such a good price that I just can't pass it up!

That's how I acquired the little stool that sits in my front entryway that has a plant on it. I bought two of them, needing neither. And both sat, for several years, unused, two houses ago. Then in the blink of an eye it happened to be THE perfect thing for that location in this new house. The second one went to a friend who, once I got to know him well, discovered he had a love of small wooden pieces. So it became a special birthday gift that appeared to be very treasured.

I've presented one or other of my children with A Thing I picked up that I thought would be perfect for them, to their delight. A grandchild with a craft project that they never expected. A friend with a notepad in the color and design she treasures most. An especially treasured client with a book they'd been looking for. I love things like that, to do for others, especially when it's unexpected, and with the added bonus that it's some Perfect Thing that they'd needed but didn't even know it! And all those Things at bargain, discount, sale prices which makes the purchases all the sweeter!

What about you? Do you like to shop?

Henry Johnson and CariAnn88 like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

My guess would be, yes for most of us. Those special finds at the right price make my day.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't like shopping at all. I do like to check out resale shops & "junk" stores on occasion. And when the urge strikes I'll stop by a garage sale or two.
    Shopping for plants? Now THAT's a whole other story! :stew2:

5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I can walk out of Goodwill-huge sack $$$$ clothing and spend less then $5. Some never worn had tags on them. But very lucky 3 of my customers wear same size I do. They have given me many outfits.

Henry Johnson likes this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I hate to shop. Even for groceries. I on occasion stop at goodwill or another thrift store, but to just go shopping? not me. un uh! no way no how!. I even send (and am so glad to do it) my one son for the groceries if I can.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh, don't get me wrong. I put grocery shopping in a category by itself…a must-be-done-dammit category. I don't enjoy the experience, but it's a necessary evil, so I endure it.

Plant shopping? Of COURSE, that's recently been added to my ever-growing list of things-I-love-to-shop-for. :D

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'm not a recreational shopper.If I need something, I'll go get it. If I don't find it in the first two shops, I do without or get on-line.
    Hardware stores, nurseries, and farm and ranch places are my idea of fun stores to shop. I'd also go to pet stores but they don't stock mules . . . .

fatbaldguy likes this.
  9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I am presently haunting the flower section of aisle 20 in our local supermarket waiting for them to mark down the remaining orchids. Last year I purchased 2, one survived and is now growing a new flower stalk. :) The other went to visit its ancestors. :-(

Pickings may be few this year. :-(

Jerry

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm like Carolyn and Marlingardener as I hate to shop. Since my husband took early retirement, and loves his food, he now goes grocery shopping. Yay!!! :D
    If I need something I tend to order online. If I really have to have something in a hurry then I'll force myself to go to the shops. If I can't find it in the first one I try I get so frustrated at the thought of having to go elsewhere.
    However, I can spend a good few hours in nurseries and garden centres as I see them as more of a day out than a chore. I promise myself I won't buy anything, just look, but I find plants leaping into my hands screaming to be taken home with me. I always have to take pity on them as I've got a soft heart. ;)

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I enjoy stories like yours, Ronni, and I so admire those who have the knack of shopping like you do.

I like to plant shop, and that's that. :D Not quite true. I also love to buy books.

My oldest daughter's a very clever shopper, and so is my husband. Like you, they manage to find special items at good prices, and they love to do it too.

I'm just happy to be the recipient of some of those special items.

12. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I tend to do the grocery shopping. The missus will take HOURS! She'll also spend beau coup $ more than she should. If I can't find it at Rural King, my local hardware retailer, or online, I don't need/want it badly enough to go find it.

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Jane, I love the term "recreational shopper." I hadn't thought of myself that way at all, but it's absolutely true!

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

This adorable outfit for my newest granddaughter. It won't fit her for a while yet, but Paige is always on the lookout for clothes for the kids for later. It's two tops and two leggings, all interchangeable. Original price was $21.99
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there's this planter. I was looking for something decorative in which to house my two christmas cacti. I found this, and her "brother," a dog, for $3.00 each, reduced from $8.99.
    [​IMG]

And then a couple very ordinary plastic containers, but I'm always on the lookout for organizational type things. These were a steal at .50c each.
    [​IMG]

Full price, I would have paid around $45 for all this. I just can't afford to shop like that for things that aren't necessities. But because of the clearance/sales, the grand total was only $15! I can afford that bit of mad money every week!

Droopy likes this.