10 new babies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Dec 5, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I took advantage of this irritatingly warm December day to do some cutting back, pulling up and general cleaning of the north bed. It had suffered the most last year since it's full sun for a good 10 hours a day and difficult to water efficiently (needs new soaker hoses and lots of mulch) and because of the heat it will be changed to plants that live to prove they can do without water for as long as Mother Nature wants to withhold it from them.

In scraping up leaves to get to the weeds I started finding Echinacea seedlings. Kept looking around found 10 so far. They were in an area rife with hard to kill/control grass/weeds that will be nuked next Spring (not really but it is as temptation) so they had to be moved.
    They will spend their first winter in this large pot out front and be replanted in the north bed when they come back next Spring.
    I have found some out in the back garden but they can stay where they are...I just never had Echinacea reseed for me in past years. I must be doing something right out there.
    [​IMG]
    Echinacea purpurea plantlets ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Frank, Kiasmum, donm and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, that's wonderful! What you have given to your garden is being given back to you. (That's probably why I have lots of weeds :( ).

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Sure wish mine would pay attention to your's and reseed!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great news Toni. Those seedlings will, hopefully, re-seed too and give you a nice big patch of Echinacea plants. :-D

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

When something reseeds in my gardens my "wonderful" hubby comes along and digs them up as weeds or uses a weed killer on them. My wonderful hubby......that he is. :rolleyes:

I will teach him in another year..... :D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really like this Toni--it is a good and fun gardening thing to do. Sometimes folks forget to do this, or don't think about it...but it is a great way to save money it can give one a real sense of accomplishment.

Chapeau, madame.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It is always nice to be able to get free plants! Is yours the old fashioned Echinacea or one of the hybrids? My old fashioned ones self-seed a lot but are easy to transplant or pull.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Congratulations Toni! I wish I could be outside in the garden too. Oh the joys of Canadian winters!