2.5 inches of rain this afternoon in 1/2 hour. :(

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by carolyn, Jun 20, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Here are a few pictures from the rain this afternoon. All this took place in about 1/2 hour :( :'( :eek:

[​IMG]
    ocean keiper ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    overflowing the garden, washing it away ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    water still almost over my shoe after it quit raining ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    water running across the road ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    the pond overfowing and contributing to the mess in the garden ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    water running across the road into a ditch thats abot 3' deep. ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    the neighbors driveway across the road ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

the neighbors driveway has a culvert that is a 30" culvert. this sets approx 6" lower than the surface of the road. We
    can see 3 layers of the road from it being resurfaced several times, after the water eroded the edge of his driveway and carried much of this away or down into the ditch.

I wouldn't wish this much rain on anyone at the rate we got this today.

cindjo717 likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My goodness... that is way too much water in such a short period of time. Especially since you all have been soaked for the last few weeks. Sure hope it subsides before there's drastic flood damage.
    :fingerscrossed:

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Wow! I sure hope it dries out there for you.
    We had 2 1/2 inches of rain last Thursday but it was over a period of about 6 to 7 hours. We're pretty saturated here too, but you are getting soaked!

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Really wet this afternoon. Here is the nextdoor neighbors side yard, between our house and his. This is grass that he mows every week, except for when it rains like this. :eek:

[​IMG]
    mr. cliffords lawn ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    mr. clffords lawn and the catch basin by the road ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

the water is flowing west to east here, as it gets to the road it moves a little to the north of his side yard and then curves around by the road and flows to a catch basin. the disturbed water you can see is the catch basin blowing water up out of it because there is no place for it to go. This is where the water was flowing across the road. People seem to lack common sense anymore, most of them did not even slow down for the water, one hydroplaned and was swerving all over the road. I couldn't believe he didn't roll his car.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yikes now that's what I call a tad too much rain!! I thought our weather was bad today as we got 1 and 1/2 inches in just two hours but it was nothing compared to what you had. :eek: I hope it all disappears quickly and that you don't get any more downpours like that again.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We are under a flood watch for the area. It has been raining both light and hard, steadily since this all happened this afternoon. It hasn't stopped at all in the last 2 hours.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Oh my.... that is disheartening... too much of a good thing to be sure. Stay safe and dry till it goes down, and I hope some of the garden is salvageable.

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Oh Carolyn what a disaster for the garden,..i can just imagine you and Kevin looking at everything awash,..lets hope you recover from this and there are no more downpours.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Morning Philip, In all reality, what got washed away was a very small portion of the edge of the garden. what you can see is two rows of royal burgundy beans and a row of zucchinis and okra at the end of it. Most of what was in the plastic mulch actually survived the running water much to my surprise. this is the 3rd time that portion of the garden saw running water this spring :( I think I'm going to put bales of straw along the row of raspberries to funnel the water to the driveway. I don't have any other ideas at this point to fix the problem of the torrential downpours.

the rest of that part of the garden is for more beans and corn, so it's not been planted yet.

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looking at the way the water flowed out of your garden, did a lot of top soil wash away?

Jerry

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, anywhere the plants weren't growing or there wasn't the plastic down, everything that had been tilled is now down along the road in the ditch. :(

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Remarkable fotos, to be sure Carolyn. It is very disheartening to see your topsoil washing away like that. You know, from other fotos that you have shown, I didn't realize that your fields were on such a slope.

Gosh, I wonder if it would help stem the tide if you ploughed parallel with the street at the bottom of the slope instead of perpendicular to it.

I feel for your situation there.

Oh, I just hate seeing your topsoil wash-away like that. That is the worst bit for my eyes.

Dear oh dear...this is not funny at all.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, there is 100'(300 meters?)of fall from the top of our property to the road elevation. it is quite a haul to walk to the back of the property for anything. I mostly avoid it.
    on the other side of the road there is (my guess) at least another 30'-50' of fall, in elevation, to the creek. Mowing the back yard is a challenge, not for the faint of heart, if it is wet. We have lots of springs close to the surface of the ground, so it doesn't dry out very fast if there is a lot of rain. I tend to slide down hill and sometimes sidewards :eek:
    tilling the opposite direction from how are now doesn't seem to really help. the fall is a little too much from one side to the other of the garden. So no matter what direction we plant, it gets washed when we have this much rain. Today i sent Adrian after more strawbales to make a "dike" along the row of raspberries, in case we get this much again.

We will just have to go down to the ditch and scoop out all of the topsoil that we can and put it back.

15. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I still can't figure out what has made Mother Nature so disgruntled this year.
    It is so sad to see what that downpour (and the others) has done to your gardens.

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cherylad, For the past 5 years or so we have been having these torrential downpours, but I think this was that largest in the shortest amount of time. At the beginning of March(i think) we had 10" of snow on a Friday morning and on Sunday night it had warmed significantly enough to start melting that AND it rained 1/12 inches overnight. It was an incredible mess then, also. but at least there were no crops in the ground.