2 backyard trees

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by film495, Aug 12, 2013.

1. film495

film495 Seedling

New Hampshire, 5b. not sure what these trees are, just bought a house and going through figuring out what is what. These both look like mature trees with a full crown and are dominant in their spot. The one on the left has larger 3 or 4 inch leaves and the one on the right smaller maybe 1.5 inches long and 1 wide. There are 2 more pictures with the leaves closer up, the tree on the left first and then the one on the right.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from film495's Garden )

A little hard to see, but the leaves in the foreground and the left tree as close as I could get without a ladder.
    [​IMG]

Leaves for tree in right from first picture.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Your last picture could be a big tooth aspen ? It is common in your area.

I cannot see the leaves on the first tree well enough.

Can you break off a branch and photograph it ? Also, the bark helps to tell the species of tree.

4. film495

film495 Seedling

bark, you are so right to count it for idenification. The tree on the right my friend pointed out to me loos like wrapped paper idicating Birch. Probably black birch?

The tree on the left, guessing some type of Poplar/Aspen, there's several around the property. I don't think I've ever really identifid that type of tree before.

Sadly, I'm finding several trees that appear to have died over the last several years, I'm guess these are the Ash trees dying out.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

film495--Do you know about mad dogs & horses?

M (maple)
    A (ash)
    Dogs (dogwood)
    &
    Horses? (horse chestnut)?
    These trees all have branches that are opposite. Most other trees have branches that have an alternate growth pattern. If your dying trees are opposite, they may very likely be ashes. Ash tree bark is also very distinctive. Long furrows. Google it & you'll see what I mean.

Populars & aspen tend to be short lived trees, and (I think) don't get so tall. Could the one of the left be a beech? Is the bark smooth and silvery?

Good luck with your tree identification.
    Glad you have bought a new home!

6. film495

film495 Seedling

Tilia americana L. – Basswood, American Linden The tree on the left is likely Basswood, I found the little pea looking seeds a little earlier today - and the couple in the yard do seem to match the description otherwise also. Thanks or the tip of the leaves being opposite or alternate. So funny how all the trees start out looking the same to me and the more I learn where to look, it seems so obvious.

Cayuga Morning likes this.