2 more fence panels and a dish bed

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Jun 4, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Boy is my mail carrier going to be surprised when he gets back from vacation next Monday ;) The sub this week has pretty much figured out that cutting thru my yard is a thing of the past.
    [​IMG]
    What the neighbors see ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The digging out has begun, I got a bit further than this before the sun hit the spot and chased me into the shadows.
    I know I will be planting some Hollyhocks, Glads and Elephant Ears but don't know the exact arrangement yet...they will let me know when the time comes.
    [​IMG]
    Let the digging begin ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This is a small bed I made back in April. Got the plates at Goodwill for about 25cents each. The first planting of Centaurea cyanus (Cornflower, Bachelor's button, Bluebottle) failed to thrive. Pretty sure I planted them too early. Reseeded last week with a packet of mixed colors and a packet of black and the seedlings are coming up.
    [​IMG]
    Bachelor Buttons seedlings appearing ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I love your fence, it's very pretty. And your garden looks a treat with all those pretty dishes. You're so inventive, toni.

4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I never would've thought to use plates as a border :D Thats cute

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love the fence too, and I wish I could see the look on your postmans face :)

Advertisement
  6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Love the fence. It is going to look awesome when completed, much to the dismay of the postman! :D And the plates add such charm and character.Who would have ever thought.... except Toni! :p

7. toni

Thanks for liking my fence, every panel that gets installed just makes me giggle, I have wanted this type of fencing for years.

I wish that plate idea was an original but I saw one done on another gardening site several years ago. The idea of the small round bed of Bachelor Buttons was in a gardening magazine last fall. That gardener had encircled the plants with a Peony support ring. It held up the flowers and also gave birds a place to sit while they feasted on the seeds. I am going to cut top ring and legs of a tomato cage to do the same thing. I just combined the two ideas for mine.
    Sometimes I just am a good copier ;)

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, Toni...the more panels you put up, the more I like them. This little corner looks quite attractive and open up all sorts of possibilities.

You know Toni, I am right away interested in the slightly more technical aspects of this project: for instance, did you replace or mix the dirt what you cleaned-up and plan to plant plants in?
    How much ground will be cleaned and worked for planting in side that little corner?

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Love the fence and your plate bed is lovely toni.

10. toni

I am mixing the dirt with compost and planting. It's black clay and has to be amended to make it pliable.

The fence panels are each 8' long (roughly 2.5 meters) and for starters I plan on digging all of the grass/weeds out of that triangle for planting.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I see... well, it sounds like you have good and exciting plans, Toni. That is going to be a supurb little corner. I can imagine it bursting with colour and fragrance.
    What a very good idea that was indeed.

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love everything and I can't wait to see the dish bed when it is blooming. Such a cute idea to use...

13. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Good job, Toni! Let's see the finished project.

14. petunia

petunia Young Pine

With my grad. party I missed this thread. I really like your fence, bet it'll really look nice when your finished putting flowers in. Can't wait to see the flowers inside your dishes also. That so creative-I like it.