2008 Tomato Varieties

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by flowerpower313, Feb 12, 2008.

1. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I am probably growing out over 15 varietes this yr. Instead of 6 of one variety, I will grow 2 plants of 3 varieties. I like to be different so I am planning on some interesting looking maters.

Some cool ones are Pink Ruffled, Zapotec Pleated, Green Zebra, Red Zebra, Black Cherry, Yellow Submarine, Banana Legs, Guernsey Island and Pineapple.

What is everyone else growing?

2. Loading...

3. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

I'm Doing Romas and Big Boys this year. I had fair success last year in a container. I want to expiriment with planting in the ground this year. I have some hard clay, so I will have to mix it up with some compost and grass clippings. I am hoing that will do the trick.

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have Brandy Wine started just now up.I bought one nice plant bush variety.It in already about 7 inches tall and stalks are about 1 inches
    around.It has a small bloom on it I bought it yesterday.I will get about 3 more plants and put them in big containers.I want some big yellow tomatoes.

5. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

Glendann, let me look through my stash of mater seeds. I'll see what big yellows I have. I definitely have pink Brandywine if you are interested in those.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I only grow two types: "Legend" and "Ferline".
    One is a "bush" type and the other is a cordon type.
    They are very tasty.

7. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

I was unfamiliar with Ferline. But I see both are blight resistant. Is that a big problem in your area?

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes FlowerPower... it is the very reason that I have chosen those two types. Resistance.

I can only grow toms in the greenhouse, outside plants always get blight and I loose the crop.
    Having said that, I can grow them in soil bags at home on the front balcony without problems. I do not need do that anymore though now...I can sucessfully grow more than enough at the lottie now. :) I am very happy about that.

To illustrate how helpful forums can be...it was a lady in england that told me about the ferlines the year that they were introduced.
    At first I didn't want to even try them because I had been disappointed for four years in a row...but the seeds were free and all I had to do was fill in a form answering questions about germinating, growth, production etc.

Since then I have grown them every year. The Legend I started with year before last. I was so amazed at the size and number of toms that plant produced, that I now grow that one too. and we can the excess for use in sauces and soup during the course of the year.

9. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I can't grow tomatoes up here either, unless i keep them in the house or in a greenhouse. Since my greenhouse is about to fall over with one good sneeze, and my mini greenhouse aren't tall enough, i was't going to grow any this year.

But compliments of the internet, some guy from the Netherlands told me of some really good hardy tomatoes that should grow here in the artic, wrapped ofcourse. (looking at Sjoerd,,thanks) that i am going to try the Ferline and one other, i can't remember what its called,, don't worry Sjoerd i wrote them down in my journal,,lol. So i will see what happens and hopefully i will have a nice crop.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

hee hee hee... you DO make me chuckle, Biita. I really want you to have success there this summer. Who knows, with all the hours of sunlight... you may well have some success. If you can just keep the heat up in the cylinder, perhaps you'll be elbow-deep in toms. [​IMG]

11. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

So its the native soil that's the problem? I thought maybe you grew some Russian varietes. Just because of cold resistance and short DTM.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nee... it's the Phytophthera and the moisture that makes it diffiult here...plus the fact that virtually everyone grows potatoes.The boys in the "Potato Patrol" keep a close eye on everyone's spuds, but if the blight comes it is very difficulty to stop in time. It spreads like 'wildfire'.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh... FlowerPower... I apologize-- you ment your post for Biita, didn't you.
    :oops: Please excuse me.

14. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

Sjoerd, no I meant you. :)Thanks for the explanation. Blight is a terrible thing.

15. trudy

trudy In Flower

I'm up to 19 varieties so far, but still have a few others I'd like to tuck in somewhere. See my blog for the varieties so far.

16. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

Trudy, great list! I also have Striped Cavern and Campbell's 1327 on my list. alot of people seem to be growing Big Rainbow this season

On a side note, the Pregnant Onions you sent me last yr are doing great. Thanks again!