2013 Seedlings

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by TheBip, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Thought Id share my seedlings! I did 5 flats, quite a few different seeds. Some of the seed is old, but I hate the thought of throwing out seed so I sowed em anyway :) I cut up a set of blinds for row markers, and wrote the name, the date planted and the expected germination time frame.

Peppermint Stick was from Sample Seeds, Fruit Smoothie was from Burpee seed (last years seed I think)
    [​IMG]
    Zinnia seedlings ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

The Cali seeds were from an old packet, the annual ones were from Sample Seeds. There was a bit of moldy stuff that appeared, so I turned on a fan and tried spraying it with 3% hydrogen peroxide (read about that on gardenweb) and it seems to be gone now. Also in this flat are Cleome and Coleus. The Cleome was old seed, still waiting to see what happens with it. The Coleus is sprouting in one cell so far. Very tiny, those ones :)
    [​IMG]
    Poppy- Annual and California ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

Coneflower, white and purple. Finally coming up! Planted these first. Seeds were bought this year.
    [​IMG]
    Coneflower ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

The unknown seeds (in front) were collected from somewhere. Maybe the Home Depot garden center (I was always collecting seed when I worked there haha). Foxgloves (in back) were from last years seeds I think...
    [​IMG]
    Unknown and Foxglove ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

Im happy all the seeds in this flat came up. In the front right are Snapdragons (old seed), left side is all Marigolds (yellow and white mixed) and the other 2 on the right are Yarrow (mixed).
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

Only have 2 lights right now cause thats all I can afford :/ Hopefully I can get another one after payday. I have a larger set of shelves, but its holding last years plants that didnt get in the ground haha so I grabbed this one out of my sewing room. I do rotate the flats every day. Not ideal, but being on a tiiiiiggggghht budget, its all I have to work with :/
    [​IMG]
    My cheap set-up ( photo / image / picture from TheBip's Garden )

Frank, stratsmom, Droopy and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

WAY TO GO!!!! :p

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your sprouting seeds. They're a sight for sore eyes. I think I'll sow some cat grass. :D At least it's green.

I like your setup. You're so good at making the most of what you've got.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OK now I'm officially jealous!! I want to plant seeds too. When spring arrives here I can see me going over the top and planting everything in sight. It's been waaay too long since I last got my hands dirty. :(

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good!

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You cheap setup seems to be working perfectly! Great job Bib!
    My seed starting was only so-so this year.... only about a 50% rate of sprouts. Only a couple of my coneflowers sprouted. :'(
    I still have 3 Hibiscus 'babies' under the grow lights. Everything else has been moved outside to harden up.

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Well done Jen,..its always amazing how even very old seeds can still sprout,..its looking good for you so far.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Thanks all :D Still waiting on a few seeds. Columbine, Cleome, the rest of the coneflowers, Phlox, Aster, Coreopsis and Daylily (those were an experiment). Most of those are old seed, so Im not really holding my breath haha Im wondering if some of them need cold to germinate? I know Columbine seeds left on the ground do well for me...hmm