Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by username16218, May 25, 2013.

1. username16218

username16218 Guest

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, they are beautiful! Now you do need to divide them out of this basket. otherwise you will not get a nice looking basket of petunias. I grow hanging baskets in a greenhouse and I put 4 or 5 in a basket for any variety. anymore is too much root mass for the ratio of soil mass.

even if you lose a few it is better than leaving them all to struggle to survive. You have enough there to do all your flowerbeds and your neighbors it looks like.

Turn the basket upside down with your hand splayed over the petunias supporting it with your fingertips, not your palm. (take the hanger off first, it will make it much easier).

Then gently turn the mass back over and start pulling small clumps off (pull the soil mass not the plant mass) and transplanting them into the flower bed or into other pots filled with potting mix (this works the best-not garden soil) making clumps of 3-4 petunias if possible.

Gently water them back in and keep them sheltered for a few days. Mixing Osmocote into the soil mix is also a very good thing to do for the plants. I do it for all of mine.

Then when you are done (or sick and tired of transplanting them) refill your hanging basket with potting mix and osmocote, pop a few plugs of petunias in there and water them in...
    Ta da! your very own petunia basket at a much lower cost than buying one.

Frank, eileen, Henry Johnson and 5 others like this.
  3. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Very nice.
    My Godetia seeds germinate like this most years and I divide them.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh look at all those lovely sprouts. Great advice Carolyn. You have so many seedlings that you're going to have a lovely show when they flower even if they don't all survive.

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I bought some wave petunias a few weeks ago, and they were blooming nicely at the garden center. I planted them correctly in new soil, but they are not blooming very well now. Allegedly they do not need deadheaded?

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AA, I deadhead all my wave petunias. I think there was a topic on here for a petunia that doesn't need deadheaded and it might have been supertunias? I am not sure. You need to pop all those seed head off otherwise they make seeds and not flowers. There could be a little transplant shock going on too. dead head and give it a dose of flower fertilizer a little time and sunshine...

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am deadheading my petunias. I did give them some flower food, and water and sunshine. I hope they come back. They were not rootbound in their nursery pots, and I did open up the root ball. If I miss a few flowers and they go to seed, I let them reseed themselves too. Usually my petunias do nicely. I have them hanging in two pots --3 per large pot-- on my double shepherd's hook.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AA, just give them time. Are the nights cold in your area? that slows down the growth and blooms, too, but it does keep the [lant compact at the same time....catch 22.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

Petunias are tough little plants, if they have one root they will usually be fine. You have enough there for a lot of baskets,, divide them now. They will recover and grow quickly at that size. Bigger they get, the longer it will take.

10. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

I went to purchase another petunia because the one I have was doing so well. I stopped at 3 places and they didn't have any. Said for us the season is over here in fl because of the heat. But mine is doing well in partial shade. You are lucky to have all those beautiful lil guys :) I always take off the spent ones. I only pull off the petal though I don't remove any greenery, it just slips right off. I would have to agree and say seperate them.

[​IMG]
    Petunias 5/27 ( photo / image / picture from Mrs. Galeassi's Garden )

Good luck with your petunias :) They are awesome :) This is my first petunia and I just read your comment about the seed pods. I'm trying for the first time to do what you did and save the seeds. Glad you did so well, I hope to do the same for next year.

11. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Not sure I bought mine already blooming. Keep an eye out for lil buds. Looking good... :)