3rd phase of our trip.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Capt Kirk, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

After spending 2 nights in Manistee Mich., we returned to Ohio to Holmes County which is the biggest Amish settlement in the state.

This first pic is of an Amish gentleman cutting corn with a horse drawn corn cutter. The next step would be to set the corn stalks up into "shocks".

[​IMG]

This next pic is of a young Amish lady selling handmade baskets along the side of the road.

[​IMG]

These older men were selling handmade birdhouses and bird feeders. I looked at them and they were really well made. Their prices were very reasonable too.

[​IMG]

This is a family in their buggy, going to town.

[​IMG]

This is just a sample of the fall foliage that we saw. It wasn't quite at peak color yet.

[​IMG]

One of the favorite thing to do is to drive the back roads and as you go past their houses, their will be signs out listing what they have to sell. Such as baskets, or quilts or jam or whatever. This is how they suppliment there income from farming. They all have huge veggie gardens in the summer and do a lot of canning. They do it like they did 150 years ago. I hope you enjoyed the trip that you took with me!

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for posting Capt. Did you buy any bird feeders?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I like the looks of those baskets and could do with a few of them here. I have a lot of respect for the Amish as they are so hard working and self-sufficient.

5. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Didn't buy any feeders as I have too many now. Did you notice that the girl is holdin up a basket in front of her face? And the man has his back turned to me? They saw that I was about to take a picture and did this on purpose. They beleive that if you take a picture of their face, it will steal there soul. So they won't let you take pics of them.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I hope you got a basket or two. When we were in Pennsylvania years ago, I picked up a harvest basket and a large round basket with a high handle. They are still in service after about 30 years!
    We all could learn a lot from the Amish, about taking care of the land and not needing a lot of extraneous stuff.
    I don't let anyone take my photo, either, but that is out of respect for the camera's health and not my beliefs!

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D marlingardener, you're hilarious!

Capt, thanks for showing these photos. I've always been fascinated by the Amish, and often wish modern society would adopt a few of their ways. But not all. I wouldn't want to be withtout our phones or the computer. :D