43rd Anniversary Celebration

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Aug 8, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

For our anniversary, we went to the Waco zoo and took a "behind the scenes" tour of the herpatarium. We got to meet the three Galapagos tortoises, Professor, Gilligan, and Skipper (zoo staff occasionally watches TV). We fed them escarole and then gave them little neck scratches.
    [​IMG]
    Neck scratching a Galapagos ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

Next we went to the Komodo Dragon exhibit and watched a training session with the small female. She likes to be petted, although we weren't allowed to cuddle her.
    The yellow stick has a red band on the bottom, and she has been trained to follow the red band. If she does well, there is a pair of very long tweezers that the curator picks up sardines with and gives her a reward. The only drawback is that the Komodos on exhibit tend to charge the glass when they see someone wearing red!
    [​IMG]
    Komodo Dragon in training ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

After a tour of the workroom and holding tanks for the herpatarium (these critters eat well--strawberries, escarole, and steak tartare. We were thinking of asking if we could stay for lunch). I got to pet a python, but we didn't take any photos because the flash might have irritated some of the inhabitants (and you don't want to irritate a Gaboon Viper).
    The curators asked if we'd like to see the new Orangutan baby, and of course we said yes! We had brought six bottles of our honey for the Orangs because it is used as a training aid. They have quite a sweet tooth, and honey is one of the best things they can give them.

[​IMG]
    Mia and baby ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    We went into the first enclosure where the curators feed and train the orangs to get a good look at the baby.
    Daddy was just hangin' out, waiting for his treats.

[​IMG]
    Orang just hangin' out ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )

The curator opened a bottle of honey and gave each adult orang a bit. I think we need to bring more honey with us next time!
    Doesn't my husband know what I'd love for an anniversary present? I am one lucky lady!

Frank, waretrop, carolyn and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Happy anniversary!

Those are great pictures!

I love the neck scratching!
    Did the staff say anything about scratching the shells of the tortoises?

A pet store nearby had a tortoise, not Galapagos, but a small one (not sure of the species). The owner had me gently scratch his back shell. The little guy LOVED it! It was the cutest thing to see this little guy lean into it like a dog curling up when you scratch above it's tail.
    I ended up using that little trick when I found a wild red-eared slider in the road one day. I didn't want the poor little guy to get hit, so I picked him up, which he didn't like... Until I started gently scratching his shell. He calmed right down and I moved him off the road to a safe spot.

toni likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looks like a great way to spend the day. I can't remember the last time I went to the zoo. But to get a behind the scenes tour would be awesome.
    Loved the turtles... and that baby Orangatan is so adorable.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beeker, the Galapagos tortoises' shells are so thick that they couldn't feel scratching. Their necks, however, are a different story. Their neck skin is thinner, and they can feel the rubbing. I think I bonded with Professor :rolleyes: .

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I think you all know that I like turtles. I stop to move them off of the road, too. I hate when I see someone deliberately swerve to try to hit one of them.

dooley

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I find if you can gain a tortoise trust, they just love, love their ear area rubbed. I had a good size one that would lay his whole head in my hand to I could give him a total rub down. Some times I would have to look and see if he was OK because his head was so limp in my hand.

He went to a zoo for he got too big for me. Miss him so much.

Enjoyed seeing your day with them. It's cool.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a great day! I would have loved to come along. Have gotten to go behind the scenes at two different zoos. It was really educational, fun, scary and eye opening. The scary part was a grouchy grizzly bear. Zoo staff certainly deal with a wide variety of personalities and temperaments.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Happy Anniversary! What an enjoyable day you had...and some great shots and text. Did you get the "behind the scenes tour" because it was your anniversary?
    You got to see and do a lot. Amazing day. I was surprised to learn about honey being used as a learning tool.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, we got the behind the scenes tour as part of the perks for membership. We also get 10 free passes to give to friends, and invitations to special events and exhibit openings. We have volunteered at some activities, like Earth Day, and I must say the Waco zoo treats its members and its volunteers extremely well!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a great plan. You get so much for your membership dues other than enjoying the view of the animals. The volunteer work must be interesting as well.

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Happy Anniversary! What a unique way to spend it.
    The orangutans look so much happier than those in the zoo here.

13. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JANE!!

What a wonderful way to spend your special day together. I would love to see Waco zoo and have a close encounter with those amazing Galapagos tortoises.

14. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Congratulations for your anniversary! What a wonderful and unique way to spend a day!

Yet another example of "Learning something new everyday on the Stew"- I had no idea that Orangs love honey...

However much you pay for your membership sounds to be very good value for money :p

Frank likes this.
  15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Happy Anniversary...those are great pictures. I can see you enjoyed the day