50th wedding anniversary gift?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Netty, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Next month my parents will celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary. We will be having a family get-together to celebrate. We are having a hard time trying to figure out what to get them! Anyone have any suggestions??

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Congrats to them!!!!

At this stage they probably do not need any more doo-dads that just gather dust and probably have many shoeboxes or albums of pictures already.

I know this sounds cliche, but buy a ream of really pretty parchment paper from an office supply store or paper shop like OK Paper that printers get their stock from. Maybe even from a scrapbook supply store.Take it to a print shop to have it three-hole drilled.
    Then each person in their life who is interested can take a few sheets and write down memories of their part of the couples years together. Get a really pretty album from the scrapbook store to hold the pages.

Anyone so inclined can use the scrapbook stickers to decorate, draw their own doodles on the pages or they can just leave them plain.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You could also get back copies of newspapers and magazines for the date they married Netty. Pictures and texts from these could be used in the scrapbook too or givem to them complete.

If they have a photograph album of their wedding you could get it put on to a DVD for them.

5. toni

How about making copies of that DVD for each of their children and grandchildren too. I would love to have something like that about my parents and grandparents...but no pictures were taken since they eloped.

Advertisement
  6. katsback

katsback In Flower

a 2nd honeymoon,hmmm,nah...my folks are 82,and married 55 years in no condition to travel,so i guess yours are up there to,..maybe you kids could spend the night with them like when you were kids!..enjoy ..

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We are having a family reunion in Phoenix next month and we are trying to put together a DVD slide show of family pictures. I sent mine on a disc to Andy who is making the DVD. Brothers and sisters are going to either send pictures, email them or send a disc. It will be sort of DVD of the family growing up. Maybe you could do something like that. Seeing the children growing up and the grandchildren growing up and other friends and relatives at different occasions would remind them of their life accomplishments. Dooley

8. Netty

These are all great ideas! My sister still thinks we should get them something "Golden". I'm with Toni-they don't need any more doo-dads or dust collectors so I thought something with family photos or sentimental value would be better.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You can get coloured DVD discs nowadays Netty so how about a gold one?!!! There would be nothing to dust or get broken that way and it would stand out among all the rest. You could even stencil the case with golden letters or put those stick on ones on the front. :-D

10. Netty

:oops: My sister just reminded me that our parents don't own a DVD player OR a computer! Hmmm...

11. toni

Ooops, I wondered about that. How about making the DVD and including a small personal DVD player with it. Looks like a small laptop computer but is a DVD player. Then they can look at the DVD anytime, just like opening an album.

12. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Yes. people of that age are usually getting rid of stuff and not adding to it. I'd whip them up some of their favorite foods. Storebought "doodads" are not so meaningful. 8) The scrapbook sounds good.