A Blue groundcover, Pine tree sapling and an Orange Zinnia

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Sep 23, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When we bought this house 24+ years ago I started noticing this ground cover in various places around the yard. I wasn't gardening then so I never paid much attention to them.
    They are spreading now and I really like them but know nothing about name, growing preferrences, etc. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    Unknown ground cover ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

This shows more of the stem and leaves, it reminds me of a Tradescantia but I can't find a photo of this type of flower.
    [​IMG]
    Leaves and stem. ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I found two of these little darlings growing under the protection of the Malvaviscus drummondii - Turk's Cap. One I left where it still is and this one I transplanted to a pot where it has been in the sun. They are both doing equally well in different areas, one no sun and one full sun.
    Any idea what sort of Pine it is?
    [​IMG]
    Pine Tree sapling ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

I planted a lot of assorted Zinnia's two years ago and they re-seeded with a vengence this spring. I had several packets of seeds, mixed them together and planted.....then promptly lost the seed packets that would help ID this one.
    It reminds me of a Red Spider Zinnia (I got a free pack of them years ago) but this one is a gorgeous orange.

[​IMG]
    Zinnia but what kind ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

The first one is probably Commelina communis. It's in the same family as Tradescantia. The pine tree looks like it might be a cedar of some kind.

Frank likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The "pine" looks like a juniper. They are very prickly and stiff. There are many different varieties so it's any guess as to whether it is a desirable one or not. Usually they are not.

I agree with FF about the tradescantia.

no idea about the zinnia

Frank likes this.
  5. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning, I reckon the blue flower belongs to the creeping groundcover plant called commelina cynea, which is actually an Australian native 'wandering jew'
    Very much like a tradescantia but not quite.Any advance on that?I am weeding it out of my garden it seems every minute and if I miss any little piece it will get upset and grow back twice as strong.

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the ID's

There are some Cedars with similar needles and there are some Junipers with similar needles too. I am leaning more to the Juniper ID, there are Junipers growing in our neighborhood (the Cedars around us are the ones with textured needles), so they might have been 'planted' by birds a couple of Juniper for me.

The first one is Commelina communis, good to know a name with it. Many of the ones I found out front are going to be moved to the garden bed north of the driveway, they can take over all they want in that spot.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like the blue & yellow combination!