A BlueBird Blessing on Monday!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by CrisGzr, Jun 11, 2012.

1. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

As I entered the garden this morning, I startled a pretty bluebird and a brilliant cardinal. I can't help but feel lucky when I get buzzed by a bluebird! (thanks Disney!) Of course, they are all mad that I haven't put out birdseed!

Every year I find a new garden tool that quickly becomes my favorite. These are this years! Rich laughs when I use my 'fingers" and the dog's are terrified of them, but, I find them extremely handy!

[​IMG]
    new favorite garden toys ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

I found a cluster of lilacs hidden in full shade recently and today I moved half of them along with a gift shoot from a friend. Not sure if I should brace them upright. I'm thinking they will adjust... I have three more to move but a black widow spider convinced me to wait and relocate the rest later, maybe in a few months...

[​IMG]
    relocated lilacs ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

This is the stone wall Rich uncovered this weekend, he is thrilled with it and lovingly and gently removed weeds, leaves and dirt. There were also concrete steps to the left hidden under a huge azalea. He has claimed this little garden and gave me hope he'll help more!

[​IMG]
    the uncovered wall ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

Many years ago, this wonderful bricked hole was used to contain an ivy plant... good effort but a fail. The ivy used this as home planet and invaded ruthlessly. Rich has removed most of what I couldn't and has decided to use the hole as the lower point in his tiered zen garden pool. So, we'll soon see the last of this massive ivy gone wild!

[​IMG]
    The Ivy Pit ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

I recently saw boxwood trimmed as faux Bonsai and I loved it! I am working on the massive hedge, on the wall. This is where our zen garden will be, so it is all part of our cunning and devious plan. I have learned that when certain plants in the south misbehave, you can literally cut them down to the ground and they respond by coming back humbled and healthy! Azaleas, boxwood and roses come to mind as resilient victims of my shears.

[​IMG]
    Buckaroo Bonzai Boxwood ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

Frank, stratsmom, Donna S and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Donna S
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Donna S
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What amazing discoveries!!!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wonder what else you'll uncover. It must feel like a treasure hunt when you discover features like walls and steps. :-D
    We have a pair of those leaf grabber thingys and I find them sooo useful that I wouldn't be without them now.

5. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I know it sure makes the effort worth it!

Advertisement
  6. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I have 3 pairs of "Bear Paws" and they are great! I wouldn't work in the yard without them!

7. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Yeah, I may need another pair I caught my husband using them and I guess they aren't so funny now LOL

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd have been tickled pink to find a wall like that!

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wow! :eek: What a lovely discovery! And steps, and that ivy pit too. What else will show up I wonder?

Love your faux bonsai. We've got a boxwood gone wild, maybe I can make it look a bit more interesting by pruning it hard.

We've got a pair of bear paws somewhere. I had forgotten about them. My husband bought them but I don't know if he has used them. I need to go and find them.

10. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Cheryl, I saw the top rocks but we never cleared out the back and I was thrilled but even more so that my husband found something that changed his attitude from hated weeding to repairing and creating more walls!

Droopy, I just don't have the skill for perfectly round boxwood, then I like their freeform but they grow too fast! At a garden shop last month I saw a few little trees growing behind some low shrubs, when I got closer I realized they were boxwood. The owner told me he loved to see his customer's reactions and that they took to a bonsai shape very well.

It was still early spring when I severely cut this one back. I then saw the lovely curves and trimmed branches back to show it off. The leaves are filling in and I am trying to create the cloud shapes. Another plus is that it is no longer a good place for wasps to build nests!

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Interesting excavation,..reminds me of "Time Team".