A Day Off

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have had a couple of fairly strong storms lately. Yesterday was again another one. We had been talking for a while that we ought to go visit a sort of garden up the road in Enkhuizen.

It is gratis to visit. There are blooming plants, veggies as well as herbs and spices. They have school kids, business personnel and other organisations coming for a visit and guided tours with explanations. They are open in the weekends and on wednesdays. Wednesdays are the days that the volunteers come clean the beds and mow the grass now that everything has been planted.

The setting of “De Garden” grounds is lovely, albeit small compared to other types of gardens that we have, but none-the-less nice. It had a good feeling in spite of the fact that we were too early in the season. Here is an old drone’s-eye view of the area.
    IMG_4218.jpeg

De Garden was open from 10.00 til 12.30, and there was another storm on the way. We arrived right on time…ten minutes after 10.00 and began looking around right away.

One of the most interesting scenes for us was this one of some beds right out in front of the old city gate of Enkhuizen.
    IMG_4211.jpeg

Here a view of some tutteplantjes.
    IMG_4212.jpeg

Another patch of Verbena.
    IMG_4210.jpeg

More veggies. Don’t they look tidy.
    IMG_4213.jpeg

It was all good to see, but we were too early in the season; however, we will go back in a month to see things st their top.

Well then, we stayed until closing time and chatted with a number of the volunteers that were working there today. In many ways, I enjoyed chatting with those folks more than seeing the plant sorts. Cor, they were mostly elderly people and many of them had lotties themselves, just in other places. Their posture, experiences made for interesting conversation. They were also planting many of the things that we are planting this year or have planted in the past.
    It was a good day.

Remember that storm that was supposed to happen…as we drove away from de Garden, the droplets began to appear on the windscreen. Perfect timing.

Addendum: The man who was in charge offered us some plants that were left over from planting the beds. We accepted a few Antirrhinum and Dianthus, with the typical gardeners’ philosophy: a place can always be found. Here they are on the windowsill. Hopefully tomorrow they will go in.
    IMG_4220.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    Netty, Oreti, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank for the garden tour . I appreciate your sharing the gardens from your country.
    So tidy and versatile , nice form , design, color. And so much more to learn from this garden. Easy chair side tour for me no walkin, just a bit easier today.,

Quick question… why are tutteplantjes ? Just curious. :nerdy:
    Nice to have a tidbit of rain too . Lot’s of tutteplantjes to look foreword too. :fingerscrossed:

Oreti and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Pac— tutteplantjes are the lowish flowering plants which usually have garish colours. In this country they are typically used for planting-up municipal plots. They are typically easy to grow and need little attention other than weeding.
    Glad you liked the day off thread.

Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you for a wonderful garden tour it is a great way to spend the day.

Oreti and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks, Pac. We really enjoyed it. It was small and close to home. Perfect.

Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  7. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Wow beautiful @Sjoerd and so neat and tidy. Fabulous. Thank you.:)

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My stars, such a beautiful garden! The volunteers must look forward to Wednesdays and spending time there. Thank you for sharing your "day off" with all of us.

Sjoerd, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oreti— cheers. I am glad you liked the posting.

Marlin— you are welcome. Now I am looking forward to the return visit.

Pacnorwest and Oreti like this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Very pretty! The lettuce is so 'orderly', something that never seems to happen in my own gardens.
    On garden tours I always enjoy speaking with the creators about their gardens as much as looking at them. There always seems to be a good story to hear!

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Today is my day off. However no fancy garden tours are planned, out playing frisbee with the dogs , the inevitable happened. The last frisbee left ended up on the roof. Not planning on climbing up the ladder today in 90 degree temps. I briefly thought it would be easier just to order a couple 3-4 . There were several frisbee’s already up in trees lost somewhere. The woods too and oddly enough found one under Sadie’s bed. She hides toys from the other dogs.

Climbing up on the roof the hot asphalt felt like walking on hot coals. Found another frisbee up there . It’s now raining frisbees . Sadie came running outside with the one frisbee she was hoarding teasing the other dogs.

I did manage to bring the blower up on the roof with me and cleared the needles, pine seeds, other debris from the scuppers.

Alrighty then …coolin off involved water and a chocolate cup cake. Chocolate always helps . Right?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Netty—You are so right about talking with the workers. There is always a good story or two to hear.

Pac— you be careful with that heat.

Netty and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday evening all. Currently 25°C and sunny. We are under a heat warning today.
    A busy day at work in the heat, and then home to a crazy puppy ... I am worn out!
    Tomorrow is DDs birthday, so I'll wrap gifts and then relax.
    Have a good night all :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good night, Gracie. :D

15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_1761.jpeg

Sjoerd likes this.