A few more Ca. pictures.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Donna S, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

My sister lives in Grass Valley, Ca. which is mountains and mountain roads. Keep in mind that I held my breath a lot while touring the narrow, winding, twisting, hairpin turns roads.
    The Nevada City hotel has metal shutters that were closed when a gun fight broke out.
    Also take notice of how dry it is. The rivers are almost dry. If fire started I don't know how anyone would get out.

[​IMG]
    View from my bedroom window ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Veiw from her deck. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Neighbors cedar raised beds. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Gold mining equipment. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Worlds longest covered bridge. Closed for repairs. Dry river bed. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Twin cedars. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Wells Fargo Express 1853.Where they sold their gold and a stage coach stop. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Hairpin turn. We came over this bridge. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    to this bridge. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Don't know why they need a NO JUMPING sign. Dry river bed. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Medicine rock. People lay on it for it's healing power. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Nevada City Hotel. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Mine Shaft Saloon. Yes I needed a drink after traveling those roads. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

Frank, carolyn, Philip Nulty and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

It is really very interesting to see pictures of other places - So many things are almost identical with some of our own hilly areas. Yet at the same time, very different as well... For example, all the cars are left hand drive, and they travel on the right side of the road - While here it's the exact opposite! :)

That old building where they exchanged gold is also very interesting. Wonder what it's like from the inside now. And it all must have all been like back in the day... I don't know, as I've only got memories of a few classic Westerns - Of Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef, Gregory Peck, and of course John Wayne! :D

"I haven't lost my temper in 40 years; but, Pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble"... Or: "Life is tough pilgrim, it is even tougher if you're stupid"...

:rofl: :smt044

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wonderful photos Donna! Such a sad thing to see the rivers dried up though.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great photographs Donna - a real look back at the wild west with beautiful scenery to boot. :-D

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow, Donna! I have heard how dry Ca is. I sure hope they get some rain soon. I would be happy to send them some of the snow we keep getting. I

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Beautiful mountains and bridges. But it is sad to see it so dry there.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a tremendously interesting trip. These latest piccies really do attract one to visit.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Very interesting trip, most of the photos looks like a background of a western movie once the cars are removed. :)

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great pictures Donna,..its nice to see that the old interesting buildings are still there,..i agree i would be holding my breath on those bends.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely photos. :stew2: I particularly liked the Wells Fargo building. I used to be a western nut when I was young. :D

It's so sad to see the dry river beds. I read an article on the drought there earlier today. It's horrible! I do hope California will get some rain soon.