A few pictures from today's digging in the garden

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by dooley, Mar 23, 2013.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I didn't do a lot of digging in the garden but took some pictures of what was there.

[​IMG]
    turtle and ladybug enjoying the flowers ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Basil the pig ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )
    Basil didn't get anything last year and this year he has flowers instead of basil.

[​IMG]
    potatoes ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )
    Some potatoes for marlingardener. Maybe she'd like to help me hoe and hill up some dirt around them.

[​IMG]
    yellow squash ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )
    yellow squash or zucchini. I forget which right at the moment.

[​IMG]
    peas and carrot anyone ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

Peas and carrot anyone. I picked the peas and there was one carrot from the fall garden.

I watered the garden this afternoon and there is swiss chard, lettuce, zucchini, yellow squash and a few beans coming up already. I guess I'll have to think about planting the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and cucumbers soon. But, it's going to be down into 30's a couple of nights this next week so maybe I'll wait a few days.

dooley

Frank, Philip Nulty and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The peas are O.K. and I can see why the carrot was hiding last fall. The plants are off to a good spring start. I hope the summer heat is not too bad.

Jerry

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You're on to a good start. :) I bet those peas are sooo tasty.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

YUM! Can't wait for home grown veggies of my own!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dooley, those peas look fabulous, especially to someone who likes peas and planting and weeding(not so much) and eating them.Thanks for sharing and making me glad for you but sad for me.
    Traditionally St. Patrick's day kicks off the gardening experience for the year here. Well, so far the peas are still in the package and the potatoes are cut and dried, both waiting for the ground to thaw. soon is all I can think...soon, maybe, I hope, I pray! The average high for us at this time of year is 47f. and the low is 29f. (or 8/-2c) our temps now are not even the average low for the month. It seems more like Feb. temperatures than March. Today is the nicest one in the forecast at 41f.and sunny. That is it. From Sunday evening forward it is colder and snow.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, thank you for the oh-so-generous offer to help hill your potatoes, but mine are up and need hilling, too!
    We are eating lettuces from the garden, and spinach. The squash, cukes, beans and peas are all up. For some reason my sugar snap peas just didn't do this spring, but the English peas are doing fine.
    For non-Texans--"peas" refer to black-eyed peas around here. "English peas" are the green pods that you shell out and enjoy.
    Carolyn, here St. Pat's day is the time to plant sweet corn. Mine isn't in yet because the soil temp is still a bit cool. Maybe Easter?

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, Maybe for you, but not even close for me. The ground is even too cold to go barefoot on for very long. Not frozen, but really cold.

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Looking good over there Dooley. And Basil is soooo cute! :-D

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looking very good Dooley.
    You can make me awfully jealous with these piccies. :D

11. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I wasn't trying to make anyone jealous. I thought to encourage you that spring is really on its way. It just got here a little earlier. It's cold and windy today so I'm glad I waited to plant tender stuff.
    wannabe and my son, Andy are both in the midst of that great snow storm heading toward the east. wannabe is supposed to get up to 10 inches. I guess as much as I dislike windy days, I dislike snow more so I'll take the wind as long as it doesn't blow us to the north.

dooley

12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Well have my seeds for snow peas.It will be a while.Got another snow storm yesterday.But lot of my peas I eat sitting in the arbor. Right got about 6 inches of snow on it.

13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Dooley you have given me a longing for peas,..something i must sow this season,..eaten raw of course,..oh love your Basil Pig.