A Gift From The Council/Municipality

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Aug 13, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Other things going on in the allotment that has kept us busy were the harvesting of the white onions.
    IMG_4390.jpeg

Harvesting the red blueberries called “Pink Lemonade”.
    IMG_4393.jpeg

Of course there were more toms hanging around.
    IMG_4363.jpeg

Now then, the Council has been obstructing the entrance to our allotment complex for weeks while they laid a new section of bike path (this was already done two years ago) and a stretch of narrow sidewalk for pedestrians.

This questionable project has caused the Allotmenteers difficulties getting in and out with the varying work schedule…but the worst was that the bikers had to go onto the road with auto’s whizzing by. Very dangerous.

Some people may have complained to the municipality, I don’t know. Anyhow we got an e-Mail from our group of administrators saying that there was a little something from the Municipality to make it all good. Here it is:
    IMG_4398.jpeg

It was a gesture and we will definitely try them next year. The text basically says that they are aware that the work has caused problems and that they offer these seeds to thank us for our patience and a projected date that the work will be concluded.

That was a surprise.

Oreti, Daniel W, Logan and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Nice gesture for all your contributions. Your gardening knowledge and sharing with friends is appreciated there in your community and here on this forum as well. I adore your posts always insights and techniques to learn from your pics.

Daniel W, Logan and S-H like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That was nice of them. I've tried growing pink blueberry called pink lemonade for a few years but no flowers and no fruit.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much Pac.

Loggie— That is such a pity. Perhaps you could try them in the ground. The soil sort is very important for blueberry plants. I don’t know if you supplemented your soil or not.
    I love them, so I tend to baby mine.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Sjoerd but our soil isn't suitable and we wouldn't spend anymore on that variety, yes i did give them a fertilizer like the others but can't get one for blueberries, just a all purpose one but the others are fine.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Same here.

That was a really nice gesture. I couldn't see a municipality or anyone else here, making such a thoughtful gesture. Maybe I'm wrong. I wish that to be the case.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie— you know a person does not have to give blueberriy bushes much fertilizer, what far more important is that they have acid soil. I sometimes add rodi or hydrangea soil with pine bark chips.

Daniel— it was indeed a nice gesture. I appreciated it.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_2958.jpeg

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhh. i agree Pac. C’mon Loggie, don’t give up. :)
    To be fair though, those bushes never did take off over here, there must be a reason for that. One thing is certain— nothing wrong with the flavour.

Pacnorwest likes this.