A lesson learned...again!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I bought a bergenia and ribbon grass (Phalaris arunginacea) last year and planted both in my shade garden. Both tags that came with the plants last year said part shade to shade. The bergenia has doubled in size and stayed a beautiful red all summer. The ribbon grass died. Not that I believe the tags that come with the plants but this years tags states that the bergenia should be planted in sun to part shade and the grass should be in full sun. Since the grass didn't like the shade I'll try this one in the sun. A lesson well learned. Don't believe the planting tag. Look it up on-line or ask someone who has planted them before.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. stratsmom
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good advice 2ofus. I think many of us have had the same problem in the past. It's just a pity we have to have some plants die on us before we realise those tag aren't always accurate.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Do you have any black walnut trees? they will kill off many plants. I didn't think about the walnuts in my inlaws woods and planted pampas grass for my MIL and it all died from the trees. My ribbon grass is in all afternoon shade and looks fine. My bergenia in the shade looks terrible.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What I hate is when the tags don't even have the right variety or sometimes species. I have gotten where I use my phone to look up plants I am not sure of right in the store before even purchasing them.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jewell... I always make sure to take my phone with me plant shopping now. It has kept me from buying a few things... from lack of info on tags to down-right misinformation (like hardiness zone). I actually had a lady ask me one day to look up a plant for her too. :stew2:

Henry Johnson and Jewell like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sometimes the tags seem to be printed for another zone. For example ... something that grows well in the shade in Texas may want full sun here in Ontario.

Henry Johnson and purpleinopp like this.
  8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I was going to say something similar to Netty's comment. The only thing I want on a plant tag is its' name. Then I can find the correct info for it in my particular location/climate.

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have had problems with tags on plants too....but of course I have a phone that is not connected to the internet so my plain phone is useless, just for HEllO... 10 years ago we were suppose to have 3 different colors of Lilacs and we ended up with only 2 colors in the yard. I have since planted one of the darker Lilacs which I love...