A Mixed Marriage

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sjoerd, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry about this foto not being in focus, but it was such a windy day that it´s the best I could get. I must have take 20 pics, but that plum branch just flapped up and down, then left and right.
    Ach...they´re pretty Ladybirds (or is it Ladybugs) anyway.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. kathyd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Ladybugs in the USA and Ladybirds on the other side on the big pond! My husband is English and they call them ladybirds...I always wondered why. Arn't they bugs? LOL

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your photograph doesn't look blurred in the least Sjoerd. I just wish I had more ladybirds in my garden.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It´s curious that the UK folks call them that, perhaps they associate them in some way with women? chuckle.
    heh heh heh... Gardenmama, we don´t call them either one here. We call them lieveheersbeestjes :) .
    That´s really different, isn´t it? I have always wondered where THAT name came from.
    There are more of these cute little terrors in our garden than ever...and there are more aphids too for some reason.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They're pretty. :D We call them marihøne, Mary's hens. Don't know why, but I'm glad to see them.

7. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

I love the ladybugs as we call them, they are just cute I think. My DD#2 (she's 4) loves to watch them walk on her arm. What a great pic Sjoerd. Thanks for sharing.

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Sjoerd;
    Don't the "beasties" eat other bugs? I thought they were a welcome addition to the garden. Anyway, they're cute.

Gardengater (Carol)

9. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Lady bugs are cute..though in a few years ago farmers in vermont imported them to take care of other pests. Thus we had a influx of them. Well to make a long story short. When it gets cool they hide and we had a some really warm October days and they all come out and swarm. Complete sides of houses were covered inches deep with the cute little things. My mom had they get into her place and I woke up and there was a pile on the ceiling the size of a basketball.

very cute a couple at a time a total NIGHTMARE when you pile them up!