A mouse a day, keeps the Dr. away !

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

We have an old Momma cat that brings us a mouse every day and leys it on the front porch. She isn't really our cat. She is an ex-feral cat that took up residence in our neighbors barn. They let her there as she is an exceptional mouser. She sleeps up there with their cows, but comes back here to eat, as she knows we will feed her. She is probably the mother of 4 or 5 litters that we know of. Every time you turned around she was prego. A year ago, we had her fixed under a special program run by the local Humane Society. $40 for a female and $20 for a male under their Feral Cat program. The other 3 cats we have are hers from 2 different litters. She pays for her food by bringing us a mouse every day!

stratsmom and gardenelf like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That's so very nice. I would love a cat or 2 but I just can't do that......

My house would be wrecked..... :D

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

One of our past cats would bring a rat to the door very often also. Being on a farm she had plenty of opportunity.
    I wonder what the exact reason is for them doing this? Is it to prove their worth or to share a 'meal' with you? :)

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

:D :D A proud moment......for both the pet and the owner. :D :D

Advertisement
  6. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Every cat we have had, has done that. The one we had when we lived in Florida used to bring us lizards as there were more of those than mice.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I had a dog that would do that. Sometimes more than one. She would line them up nice and straight on the porch.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Ew. :(

I know that's just a one-word response. But seriously, my brain just can't get past the mental images. :(

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sam Cat used to bring chipmunks, mice, and once a ferret and put them right by the front steps for everyone, even visitors, to admire. We had very few visitors after a while . . . .
    Feliz distained mice--she wanted to catch the Dachshunds next door and very nearly did. Personally, I was on her side. Darned little yappers!

stratsmom, Donna S and Kiasmum like this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I know they think we will like such gifts. But really-I just can't get excited over a dead anything left on my door step.

Reminds me of a couple that use to live in an up stairs apt. We lived downstairs. At night they would leave their bedroom window open so their cat could come and go as it wished. On more than several occasions they had to inspect the floor before stepping out of bed as their cat would bring home presents for them also. Once the cat left the present on their bed. Needless to say that took care of the open window policy for the cat. Oh Yuck I can't imagine getting out of bed in the morning and stepping on a dead mouse. :eek:

11. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

We had a little cat who was a prolific mouser which was fine in its own way but she would insist on leaving us the heads and entrails on the hall carpet :eek:

One of our Sams killed a rat once,but mercifully it was left on the patio...Kia did look very please with herself for quite a while afterwards
    :p

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Had cat who would do that. One time she brought to out BED. Dropped in my open had :eek: Rescue cat all ways having lunch on drive way
    And since DH trains hunting dogs. Our Viszla trained to bring to hand. Live muskrat. Dh said was all teeth and claws.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  14. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Sometimes the "prey" isn't quite dead yet. My aunt used to have 2 cats who got up to all kinds of mischief at night. One morning she found them both in the kitchen, staring at this little (baby) blackbird sitting on the kitchen surface. It was making a lot of noise, poor thing was terrified. But not as terrified as the two cats, who obviously hadn' t reckoned with the resilience of this little bird. My aunt said it was the funniest thing she ever saw. Thankfully the bird was ok, and after locking the two felines in the lounge, she carefully released it somewhere safe. :stew1:

2ofus likes this.
  15. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

House I clean today. Has Cat door-they have brought many things in. And not dead. Last time I had to HUNT for snake. Got it before went down cold air register. When we take care of them when owners are gone. Lunch in bath tub

16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Same customer. We are taking care of pets. had to peal sticky trap off cat's nose last night.