A Trip To The Lotties And The First Strawberries

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 28, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It has been raining for a few days here now and today we had to go out and see if there was any damage and give water in the greenhouse.
    There has been severe material damage throughout the Netherlands asd I was curious, if not a bit apprehensive of what I would find at the lotties.
    I was fortunate--no damage, save a couple of leaners, which I straightened-up and secured with a Tonkin stick.

The rain arrived just in time again for the strawbs and we harvested a handfull for dessert this evening.
    Of course I had to get cake and whip cream to go with it...y'know what I mean? ;)
    [​IMG]
    Here are a couple of lettuces that I harvested a few days ago.
    [​IMG]
    The plum trees are really loaded-down with plums this year. I shall have to look at the trees after the "June Drop" to see how much will have to be thinned-out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We were able to get the Brassicas in, pity that enviromesh is necessary to protect them from the pernicious beasts that attack them. I really dislike the appearance of nets, but they are a necessary evil, sadly.
    [​IMG]
    There were a few flowers to admire there today as well.
    A lovely and almost exotic-looking yolk-coloured Trollius.
    [​IMG]
    The Clematis "Josephine".
    [​IMG]
    The Clematis "Miss Bateman".
    [​IMG]
    A Cistus purpureus
    [​IMG]
    And finally a Coot taking a pause from her constant search for food.
    [​IMG]

2. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Those strawberries and cream are making my mouth water! Your gardens look lush and wonderful.

We're having a lot of rain here too, but it's been cold. The tomatoes need more warm weather to grow here. Our lilacs are in full bloom (and they smell wonderful!) and the crabapples are almost finished. It's been a cool, wet spring, but everything looks healthy and green (including the weeds!).

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely! I was just thinking I haven't seen any photos from your lottie lately, but there they were. :D I can't believe the amount of plums you're getting - amazing. And look at all those beautiful clematis blooms. :D I like your Trollius chinensis, we have one too but it's not blooming yet.

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. ACMPhoto

ACMPhoto Seedling

Everything looks beautiful! You're fortunate you didn't loose anything in the storm the other day. Here in Belgium there was hail the size of oranges in some places! All of my terrace plants survived as well, luckily. Your The Clematis "Josephine" is stunning!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

A true feast for the eye.
    What exquisite Clematis you have. And those lettuces - Ooh I can almost taste them and of course the strawberries.
    I better stop (drooling uncontrollably)

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, KL--those first strawbs WERE delicious with cream 'n all, but I could be exaggerating because it's been so long since I have had fresh. ;)
    It is cool here as well and it is noticable in the veg development as well.

It must have been telepathy, Droopy. They say great minds........ :D
    The amount of plums are indeed shocking.
    Glad you liked the flowers. They are nice to look at when I take a little pause.

When I see the news, I definately do feel fortunate, ACMP. I heard that there was 15 mil euro's damage in our country overall, so I honestly expected to find flat plants and broken greenhouse glass.
    I saw something about those huge hailstones on the news on "één". Astounding. Thanks for the compliment on the "Josephine". She has had a tough time but is coming along a bit now.

Hahaha....Palmpie--you say the sweetest things. The lettuce and strawbs were good. I still have one head of lettuce left. I eat lots of salads when I have them fresh.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hey I've not even had breakfast yet (11.10am) and you go and show me those luscious strawberries - not fair. ;) Mine are still at the flowering stage so no delicious fruit to pick yet.

I thought I had lots of plums growing on my tree this year but you've beaten me hands down. :-D

Your 'Miss Bateman' is so pretty and I love the tiered petals of 'Josephine.'

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

As usual everything at the lottie looks great Sjoerd. I see the Foxglove are blooming too.
    The strawberries are so delicious looking they made the roof of my mouth start to hurt...strawberries do me that way but I eat them anyway. ;)

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Cor, look at that lot! The children and I went to the plot today thinking we might get some strawbs, but only filled a small bowl full. Masses of fruits though, just need some sun to get them to ripen.

I adore that trollis, something I don't have, and funnily enough, I saw some at hyde hall today, but they didn't have any in the shop or I think I would have come away with one. They are on my want list. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Eileen--hahaha, poor thing. Sorry. Forgive me?
    Glad that you liked the flowers though.

Thanks for the compliment,Toni. That's a funny reaction to strawbs. I'm really glad that it doesn't stop you from eationg the strawbs--that woud be tragic.

EJ--my plants have loads of fruits too, but seem held back by the coolness and lack of sun. I have so many, in fact that I am thinking of thinning them out a bit so that I can get some biggish ones.
    I am chuffed that you liked the Trollius. I really like those things and have given them a nice little place in a bed where they an be seen. I have moved them all over the flower garden, I think that this place has the right amount of shade and light. I'll be glad when that Philadelphus grows taller and doesn't hang over them so much.

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Everything is fresh an beautifu..

I want the berries now..

Well done.. YOu would never see that many plums on a tree here.

Great foods.

b

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Good looking Strawberries.Bet they were delish!

Will you make jelly/preserves or something with the plums? My DM and DMIL used to make jellies, jams, etc. and they were soooo good. Too bad the gene didn't pass to me!

Beautiful flowers also. Thanks for sharing. Glad you didn't have any damage. :p

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Lottie is looking good Sjoerd. those strawberries are looking mighty delic. it'll be a little while before we have any here-though we do have flowers on them. I like 'Miss Bateman' clematis-I like that white one. I see your forget-me-nots are still in bloom. Sure glad your weather didn't do any damage. everything is looking good.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks B--Yes, that's an awfyl lot of plums, perhaps the tree is making-up for last year. hahaha.

KG--those strawberries were VERRRY delish, thanks. I will absolutely make jam from the plums--but not only plums, also blueberries and strawberries. I always like to have a lot of jam in the house to eat and give-away.

Petunia--I'm happy that you liked the looks of those strawberries. I can never wait for that first batch. mmmmmmm...
    Since you have flowers on yours now--it won't be long until you have some to eat all your own. ;)
    That "Miss Bateman" is a lovely thing especially when seen in person. It has such delicate colouring--difficult to show on a foto.
    Heh heh heh--yep, the forget-me-nots are still doing their thing, but I am slowly getting rid of them now plot by plot. That way they can be kept to the last possible minute. The honey bees are still coming to them.
    (happy birthday, BTW)

15. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

You sound like an excellent food service person.

What was your occupation? Fish/

Like we notice water.

Sjoerd likes this.