Advice needed about outdoor fountains.

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by S-H, May 23, 2011.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

OK, I'm basically addicted to CAD (have been since I was 15). So I often design things with it. Some of them I decide to re-create in reality - While others I simply put on the back burner.

Anyway, my question today is about fountains. Fountains situated outdoors in particular... The problem which I am facing is mainly to do with unwanted algae and slime.

Now I can design just about any type of fountain that I like, (or any other type of garden object). But when you bring your design into reality - Is when you face these unforeseen issues.

Alright, the first and most effective idea is to add a little bit of dish washing detergent into the water which will be recycled in the fountain. This will not let any slime, algae, tadpoles, or mosquito larva to grow in it.

But the problem with it is that many thirsty birds will get sick and perhaps even die after drinking from such a fountain... So I was wondering, has anyone over here got any ideas which will let me enjoy a fountain, and also not be harmful to any birds?

[​IMG]
    Fountain 1 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Fountain 2 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Fountain 3 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Fountain 4 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

first off... I love your fountain design!
    I've never checked into it, but certainly there are chemicals sold specifically for fountains that will keep them clean and not harm any wildlife?
    Or are you looking for something totally organic to use?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Fantastic design S-H!! I hope you can find an organic product that will allow you to have your fountain but keep it clear of slime (blanket weed) and algae.

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well, yesterday I went to the swimming pool shop to see what sort of cleaners do they use. So here is what I found there:

Adding powered Alum crystals (hydrated potassium aluminium sulfate) into the water has a good cleaning effect. As it helps all the suspended material in the water settle down as dust (which can be collected and removed manually). However, I think excessive use of Alum has recently been linked to cancer. So use caution with this.

Another very common practice is to add some bleach to the water. This chlorinates the water, and so has a sterilizing effect. In low concentrations, (100 parts per million) it is also safe to drink.

Next method is to add some powdered Potassium Permanganate to the water. This is a very powerful oxidizing agent. And will instantly sterilize the water. But the color of the water will first turn a deep shade of purple. After about an hour the color will return back to normal (only a slight yellow tint will remain). This by the way is not toxic at all, however Potassium Permanganate is not a cheap chemical.

One more way is to add some 50% pure industrial strength Hydrogen Peroxide into the water. This too is an extremely powerful oxidizing agent, so will sterilize the water. But 50% pure Hydrogen Peroxide is not easily available everywhere. Besides if mishandled (like splashed on the skin), it can cause 3rd degree burns in it's pure form. So use extreme caution with this chemical.

Other 2 methods which I like a lot (as they are 100% safe) are the Ultraviolet Light Sterilizer, and the Ozone Water Sterilizer. Of these 2, I like Ozone more, as there is nothing in the Ozone generator to burn out. So as long as you have electricity, you can create Ozone on demand - And simply bubble it into the water using an aquarium bubbler. This method will also sterilize the water by oxygenation. Plus the water will be 100% safe to drink!

I also found lots of clips about Ozone treatment on YouTube. See this one for example:
    http://youtu.be/p_up6hFzmVc

6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

By the way, my fountain design is not really mine - It's a virtual replica of the fountain at the Seaview Park. Which is located at the beach, (not too far from my home), where the annual Flower Show is held - See link:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=24.7 ... 3&t=h&z=18

I still am composing a video of that event (as I had collected lots of footage). However I needed an animated starting for my video - Which is why I recreated a portion of that park in AutoCAD.

The Park by the way is also called McDonald's Park, as the largest McDonald's restaurant in South Asia and the Middle East is built at the corner of that park.

Anyway, here are some more pictures from my CAD. :D

[​IMG]
    Seaview Park 1 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Seaview Park 2 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Seaview Park 3 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Seaview Park 4 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Seaview Park 5 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Seaview Park 6 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )