Advice on fuchsia cuttings

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Danjensen, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I took some cutting back in the fall as the main plant had root rot.

they are doing nicely and have put on a good 4-6 inch growth.

Was looking for some advice on getting them to bush out.

should i cut the growing tip just above a leaf joint?

also do they like to be root bound i have them in 3in pots at the moment and i am ready to plant up to 5 "

my first time with fuchsia's so looking forward to the advice

thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Mirepoux
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Dan,

If you cut ther top iff the plasnt it will bush out for you.I do not know how quickly it will branch out because it's december, after all...but eventually it will.

I do know if they like being root bound or not. I never let mine become rootbound and they were prolific bloomers.

I do not work with Fuchias anymore, but it is a very interesting hobby and a great species to experiment with.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Pinch them back to make them bushier. I don't know about the root ball, though. When I worked in the greenhouse I never thought about it. It was my job to water them or pull them for orders. I would NOT think that they need to be root bound though, that takes a long tome to get them there and greenhouses don't have that much time or space for it to be a profitable crop.

5. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks guys i appreciate the advice, I'll take a look at the root ball and see if i need to transplant.

My plan is to grow these for hanging baskets next year then take more cuttings.

appreciate the advice

Advertisement
  6. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

I'm overwintering a hanging fuschia for the fourth year. Had noticed its original soil had become very compacted: took a chance, removed it from its hanging basket and barerooted the plant before repotting. Surprisingly, it wasn't overly rootbound, has since accepted its new soil/basket very well and is almost ready for pinching back to force bushiness (which IS necessary to avoid legginess of new growth). The plant sits in a sunroom whose only heat is solar,when the sun shines, night temps are in the 40's..so far..have a piece of heavy weight Remy over it and it's nice and healthy. The fuschias DO like WATER but do not like their feet wet, so here's a tip for you when you pot your cuttings up: make SURE your hanging basket has excellant drainage; water it daily til water runs, freely, out drainage hole in the bottom once it's outside. For a 14 inch hanging basket, 5 cuttings is ideal; do keep pinching them back; fertilize on a regular basis and enjoy!

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks for the great advice weeds and seeds, i managed to rescue three cuttings and have a 10" basket so sounds like that will be spot on.

I used water holding granules last year for my impatiens, would you suggest doing this for the fuchsia? or is this likely to make things worse?

8. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

The granules would work. What I do for hanging plastic baskets is line them with predampened, long fiber sphagnum moss; start at the bottom and keep adding moss as baskets are filled with soil: seems to hold moisture beautifully between waterings, doesn't cause root rot. Coir (NOT the basket liner type!) works very well also but is harder to handle. I do this with ivy geranmuims; fuschia; other hanging baskets I make, have yet to have a failure. Three fuschia starts in a 10 inch basket sounds just about RIGHT: if basket looks a bit "lean", try putting in a cascading petunia for extra fullness..keep that drastically pinched back also to avoid legginess. Just a few "tricks of the trade".. .

9. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Leaves turning gold on fuchsia

Need some more advice guys as i have looked online but cant see any info.

my fuchsia leaves are turning gold.

[​IMG]
    gold leaf fuchsia ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

The leaves look healthy enough. this is in full sun position. so just wondered if it got too much sun?

heres another fuchsia from same stock but in a shadier spot.

[​IMG]
    normal fuchsia ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That looks like sunburn to me.

Barb in Pa.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Keep them in the shade, BUT also watch for ROBINS, they will pick the plants clean of all the flowers. They seem to love them.

12. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks guys for some reason i thought they liked full sun.

i've got it in dappled shade to recover.