African violet dying from cold

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by zgillenwater, Aug 1, 2007.

1. zgillenwater

zgillenwater New Seed

I've had an African violet for about a year in my office. It suddenly started wilting a ton, the leaves started dying, the soil never gets any drier. I read up on this online and it sounds like the cause is that it is too cold. It also sounds like it may be too late to save it, but I would like to try.

The problem is that I don't know how to warm it up! I'm in an office, so I can't affect the temperature much. I've had it sitting in my east-facing window with filtered light for a year without problems. But, maybe there is suddenly a draft there. I guess it's possible.

I guess I'm going to move it out of the window and bag it to keep humidity up like I read about and see how it does. Any other suggestions?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. lori_15
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Kait

Kait New Seed

You could get one of those clip-on "reading lamps," you know-- the ones with the incandescent bulbs, and use it nearby. That often warms up the area around plants rather nicely. Be sure not to get the bulb too close to the plant, though, or it'll get too hot and start to die. Use good judgement on placement. But I think that would do some good; it would at least put off a little heat for your violet.

4. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

What a great suggestion Kait - I hadn't thought of that.
    Welcome to the Stew, BTW. :-D

5. Kait

Kait New Seed

Double thanks. ;D
    Hope your violet gets better!

6. zgillenwater

zgillenwater New Seed

Just to give this thread some closure, I'm sad to report that the violet died. :-( I think I got to it far too late. Oh well, I will have some ideas for how to fit it if it happens again (because I do intend to get another one!).