All mosquito flights cancelled till further notice

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 26, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Temperatures of 40°F have grounded the blood suckers wherever they landed yesterday. Flowers hit by the unusual cold wave to sweep the area wish they had not emerged from their winter slumber. With a repeat of last nights temperatures in store for tonight(38°F), plants are knocking at the back door screaming, "IN!! IN!!." Lucky tomato and pepper plants, in pots and trays, will get to watch the outside plants while warmed by their inside retreat. Less fortunate morning glories will have to tough it out for another night, some will not make it. In keeping with STUPID STUPID weather, Thursday's high temperature will approach 90°F.

Mosquito flights may resume Tuesday as the biting hours will have seasonable temperatures. Proboscis sharpening class will take place Monday evening at the pond in preparation for Tuesday's resumption of normal flying. Have you given blood this year?

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, flights were not cancelled, just rerouted to Texas. I went out early this morning (dumb,dumb)to pick squash and got several good bumps.
    Mosquitoes here in Texas don't hover, they come in like Huey helicopters. Ranchers keep their calves in barns so the skeeters don't carry them off. I saw a Texas mosquito tackle a Cooper's Hawk and win. Biker clubs wear helmets so the skeeters don't pick them up by the hair, Harley and all, and fly off with them.
    Prepare for Tuesday with the return of the mosquitoes who have learned new tricks in Texas!

eileen, Henry Johnson, TheBip and 3 others like this.
  4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Our skeeters have been grounded for 3 days. They have been setting on the runways that whole time! I tried deicing them, but forgot to mix the deicer in with the water. Ut Oh! :)

eileen and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Skeeters do make good fodder.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

No wonder there is an influx of mosquitoes here dressed in their summer best!!!

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Oh, I have some bites on the back of my hands. I was thinking they were ant bits. Now, I remember that it is mosquito season and it's hot and moist here lately so it's just the right enviornment for breeding. Need to get out the spray before going outside.
    Thanks for the reminder!

dooley

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In my yard they are perfecting their touch-and-go maneuvers, strafing runs and outright dive bombing already. I need to make sure I have enough witch hazel/peppermint spray and alcohol/peppermint spray made.