All the greenhouse 'poles' are up

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by petunia, Nov 8, 2008.

1. petunia

petunia Young Pine

While we have had nice weather this week, my wonderful husband has been busy. we wanted to get this up before any snow comes our way.
    Lets recap first:
    this is where the garden was:
    [​IMG]
    the tractor that broke ground:
    [​IMG]
    Our mounds of dirt:
    [​IMG]
    greenhouse almost halfway up:
    [​IMG]
    NOW all 13 pole are in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is where the back sliding door will be. it needs to have the frame built around it yet.
    [​IMG]
    we have rain today with bad/cold weather on its way this week. He'll still be working on getting the back door framed in today.
    we'll try and get this all finished up thru the winter so that we can start gardening late Febr. or March. It'll be fun to do a whole new garden this next year and work on a flower garden around it with pathways also.

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You are so close to finishing your wonderful green house.It will be great
    to work in this Spring.I can't wait to see pictures of your garden and flowers.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oooh, I'm too envious for words! :D Please post lots of pretty photos for me once you start to use it.

5. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

WOW Petunia, that is one great looking greenhouse :rolleyes: I am really envious and can't wait to see it finished and look forward to seeing all the lovely plants that will come out of it :-D

Advertisement
  6. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

GREENHOUSE DREAMS

We are building a pole barn I wish I were building a greenhouse that would be so good. maybe next year.But it wont big as yours, thats okay I can start out with a small and work my way to a big one.I just used plastic wrap and jars last fall in my kitchen window,but it worked, so I was pleased, But I still want one outside,I guess im never satisfied.oh well,
    Good luck I hope the weather holds out for you all.
    Margie

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Ooooo, looking good Petunia! :)

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm packing now Petunia so if you should see someone setting up home in your greeenhouse it'll just be me!!! :D :D Can you tell that I'm a tad jealous of the size your greenhouse is going to be by any chance? :p I've already planted it all up in my head and can see the first shoots appearing already. :rolleyes:

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is coming along so well...it's going to be splendid.
    Thanks for showe the series of development fotos.

10. petunia

petunia Young Pine

margie. Its o.k. to start small thats what I did. then I went to a medium size one. We got this large one because it came at one of those prices you just can't pass up. I don't use the small one anymore (except for storage). My medium one is houseing my over wintering plants right now.
    Eileen:
    I think you were asking the size? its
    17ft X 48ft I know we're going to be putting in toms down the length. Maybe corn, green beans, I'll bet peas would do good. a few flowers here & there. Out the back door will be a path to my side strawberry patch and my back herb garden.

11. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

wishing

17x48 now thats a greenhouse could I have a good time in there, I guess I could get some poles and lumber and make a small one,I wouldnt have a hole lot the first year anyway just try a few things and see how it goes, Im sure I would love so I would want a large one.I was really suprised that I could grow them even in the window in jars I was so excited just over that, I thought it was great.Well we have to finish the polebarn first before I ask for another big project, Dont you think ? He may shoot me and bury me under the barn.He might wait until all the work is done though.
    You all have a good wintrey day and I will talk to you shortly.
    Margie

12. petunia

petunia Young Pine

ANOTHER STEP IS FINISHED.

As of this past weekend we now have the back wall, windows, & door in. As you can see we also have snow on the ground. Brrrr
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Wow, Petunia. Add my name to the envious list. I wish you many happy hours in your wonderful greenhouse.
    Gardengater

14. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

That is awesome! I wish I owned my own home so I could set up a big one like that.

Is there gonna be any artificial heating for it? I saw one on the East side that was huge and was powered by solar panels. Flowers/ fruits and vegies fresh all year round.

I know I am getting ahead of things but what do you plan to use for the covering? I have seen many DIY plans and a lot of them list different things to use. Panels, sheets, vinyl covering to list a few I have seen.

Add me to the ohsojealous list.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Another step foreward. It's looking good, Petunia.
    That back wall gives it a reality look.
    Are you guys going to continue working in the snow? It is great to see the steps of improvement.

16. petunia

petunia Young Pine

F4A: we have a wood burner that we'll be using to heat in the winter time, atleaast for this year. we don't have the clear plastic yet, so we'll be temporaily using canvas to cover the whole thing. The front face will have a panal on each side of a double door.
    SJoerd: doing what I just explained will allow us to finish anything we need to during the winter time (for ex, the back door still needs hinges put on) Hubby worked out in the snow today to bolt up that center pole that runs down the middle top frame.
    next step will making a frame for the front door. Hope this answers your questions, if not let me know and I'll try to explain more.