Allium aflatunense seed head: What to do???

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    My Allium aflatunense are finished blooming and are forming seeds/bulbetts now. This is my first year with these bulbs. Are they prolific seeders or tempermental? Are what I am seeing on the flower head seeds or bulbetts? How long from seed/bulbetts to flowering sized bulbs?

Any information on the maintence and propogation of these would be appreciated. I think I like them.

Also need to know more about their preferrences for growing. Right now I have them planted in my sandy, sunny, warm area of the yard. Are they like elephant garlic and can take a richer, heavier soil with less sun? Just trying to figure out the best micro climates and whether there are other parts of the yard where they would do well.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. waretrop
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

jewell, if this is the flowerhead going to seed, you are going to see seeds as they mature if you allow them to finish the process. Going to seed uses a lot of energy and the bulb does "sacrifice" itself for the next years flower, It will still produce a flower,but maybe not as nice of one. A bulbett grows directly on the stem,(usually in the lily family, at each leaf node) or right at the surface of the ground and looks exactly like a miniature bulb. The seed will eventually develop into a bulb given time. If you are going to let it go to seed put a small paper bag, tied tightly, around the heads so they don't go to seed all over. If they seed like chives, they will be EVERYWHERE. If you aren't, now is the time to cut them off so the bulb puts all it energy into forming a new flower for next year. My neighbor has them along side her house where it is very dry and it's not real friable soil in the bed. they seem to do just fine there.

eileen likes this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks Carolyn. I will cut most of the flower heads off since I don't need chive like babies all over this area. Appreciate the reply :-D