And so it begins....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

This was where the bartlett pear tree used to be. The wood chips are piled high, and today was the perfect day to smooth things out, re-distribute those chips that have composted some, and begin to get the garden ready for spring.

It was just a mound of mess.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah. Much better!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in my preparations, I noticed things are starting to grow again!
    The creeping jenny that I thought hadn't made it through our atypically harsh winter is sending out new growth all over the place!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You suggested I just lop off all the top bits of this euphorbia and see if new shoots emerged anywhere. They're a bit hard to see, but there they are!
    [​IMG]

And then there's this. I have NO idea what it is. :?: I don't THINK I'd planted anything where it's coming up....remember this is a very new garden, so there's not much going on yet. I'm sure I didn't plant anything there. I know there's not much to look at yet, but any clue what it might be? It looks just a bit like a daylily, but I didn't have one there. The closest one was all the way across the other side of the garden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All this green emerging from what looked like dead and decayed plants.....well, it's just pure magic!! :stew1:

eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The "day lily" looks like it is actually a bulb lily of some kind. Wait and watch.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Carolyn, I kind of thought that too. But it didn't come up last year. Is it possible that it can skip a year like that?

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It's like Spring for me, too. Seeing your corner for the first time again, after the Winter, is soo good.

Looks really good.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, You could have missed it easily if it didn't flower or got its flower bud knocked off before it was able to get mature. Some lilies come from baubils which look like miniature bulbs that form on the stem at each leaf and as the plant and baubils matures the baubils can fall off or even blown to a new home, hitch a ride in a shovel full of dirt, or moved by birds or animals planning to eat them later. When you clean up the flower bed in the fall you can pull the stem and cast them if you toss it towards a pile or container to move to the compost etc. they would take several years to mature.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That project is coming along quite well, Ronni.
    It is quite encouraging to see the green coming through.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Things are really beginning to look good for you Ronni. Isn't it nice when we discover things we thought were gone? Now we can look forward to seeing what else pops up and how your plants grow for you.

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

That green stuff coming up that I don't know what it is?

It's not a weed, is it? It doesn't look like one which is why I thought to post about it and see what you all think.

I'm going to be SO disappointed if it's just a weed. :(

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What green stuff?

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

It's does seem like magic sometimes doesn't it? Glad to see things coming back to life for you.

12. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh. Crap. Sorry, I posted about all kinds of green stuff, didn't I? :oops:

This. And there's an additional image of it with my original post.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Ronni's Garden )

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thats what I think looks like the bulb lilies or did you plant any asiatic lilies? Easter lilies? again...wait and see.

14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Oh I hope it is an asiatic lily. Looks like some I have coming up. Really like your new space. Having the tree removed seems to have improved the looks of the bed :stew1:

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks, all.

This weekend I'll be focusing on doing some mulching, finding a small shrub to plant in the circular part of the garden that won't overshadow the crepe myrtle behind it, and buying several more stones to finish circling that part of the garden.

I was thinking of a miniature japanese maple for the circular part of my garden....look at pictures 3 and 4 in my original post above. I want something that will put out just a bit of shade, so I can replant some of the hostas there, but that won't get tall so that it overshadows the crepe myrtle, which, if it (the crepe myrtle) grows and blooms the way the rest of them on the street have, will be the focal point of that part of the garden.

What do you think?