another canna question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by lukeypukey, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

i was wondering if i could cut back the non flowering shoots to give the one that is flowering more of a chance?? im not going to get any more flowers from it this year, not before the bad weather hits anyway. :?:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never heard of anyone recommending that but you could try.
    If your plants are not getting 6-8 hours of full sun at this time of the year, it probably won't help the other one continue to flower though.

4. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

its only getting 4 hours tops, wondering if i should call it a day until next year. :-|

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Probably should. The cultivars that have been developed for growing in more temperate climates around the world need 6-8 hours of sun for optimum blooming. That's not to say yours won't put out a last minute bloom that has been building energy from the last warm days of the season though.

If the leaves are still in good shape, just leave them until the first freeze, their foliage is nice to have in a late season garden. But those leaves will turn to mush that is almost impossible to cut back after a good hard freeze so I leave mine alone until I know for sure that our temperatures are going to drop that low.

My climate is definitely different from yours but I never cut back plants until I know they have gone dormant. As long as there is activity in them I let them be.