Another furniture layout question!

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by gsmark, Mar 14, 2009.

1. gsmark

gsmark New Seed

We have sold our house and are now living in a rental. The home is nice and in the area we want to be in but for the life of me, I can't decide how to place the furniture in the living room. I don't want to buy new furniture as we will be looking for a house to purchase and our present furniture is almost new. That and money is a bit tight right now.

The problem is that the living room is in the center of the house and I want to try to keep from blocking traffic flow as much as possible. There's only three of us so it's not a big deal but still. Just seems like no matter how I move the pieces, it looks lopsided. We probably won't use the fireplace but I'd still like to have it visible from at least 2 seating areas. I've moved the sofa out from the wall but then there's a huge empty space behind it in front of the large window. I've actually tried every combo I can think of and they all look a little wrong. Any ideas? Thanks!

That's an entertainment center with TV on the top wall next to the master bedroom entrance and a fireplace on that angled wall on the left.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from gsmark's Garden )

[/img]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Whoa, that is an odd shaped room. Looks like the architect was going for a unique space instead of a useable space.

By moving the sofa out away from the wall you are creating a 'hallway' effect which is good. That way going from the bedroom to the kitchen doesn't mean you have to walk in front of the TV or fireplace, blocking anyone's view.
    To keep that 'hallway' from appearing too large and empty you could put some potted houseplants on the floor in front of the window.

Have you tried centering the entertainment unit on that wall?

When you get the sofa away from the wall, that one chair that appears to be a recliner doesn't need to be at a right angle to the sofa, try it at an angle that parallels the fireplace. The other chair could be at the same angle it is now only closer to the entry way, partially blocking it therefore funneling guests around the sitting area instead of in front of the fireplace. You could find a small round table at a thrift shop to place between that chair and the wall by the fireplace. You would be creating a sitting area for TV watching and visiting. And if you were going to be living there into the winter you could change the angle of the recliner a bit to enjoy the fireplace.
    Anyone coming into you home would be walking between the sitting area and the TV, but with that wall being the only place for the TV it can't be helped and if you have company come in, the TV would probably be turned off anyway.

Good luck with the room, looks like it is a good thing this is a temporary living situation or it would be driving you crazy for a long time. ;)

4. jde

jde New Seed

The room is odd shaped as you say, i think no matter what alternative one choose there will be some parts that may not look optimal, the shape looks nice but may not be so practical, will be a compromise in the end i think.