Another Item Checked-off The Master Plan To Do List

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

One of the projects recently mentioned in the "Master Plan" posting was the addition of guttering. I could have let the people from whom I made the arrangements for the placement of the house install the guttering, but I did not like their narrow gutters and they were overpriced, in my opinion. Of course this meant that I would have to come up with a solution myself.

I talked a pal into coming over and helping with the realization of this project. My partner, the man and I worked on this problem together and arrived at a solution.

My pal has technical knowledge and my partner and I came up with ideas for what kind of gutters, how to place them and of course the drainage scenario. It didn't all go 1-2-3. There were probs of all sorts and these had to be addressed and a solution thought-up.

First of all the new house; as nice as it is, really did need gutters because as you can see there are none! The water that ran off the roof splashed on the stones below and there was water that got onto the planking and the wood near the edge of the roofing.
    [​IMG]

Another thing was that all the systems available here were the same, and not designed for my sort of roof. Hmmmm. I did not want to screw the guttering into the metal roofing and the area beneith were levels of wood on top of each other, creating a sort of step-up system that the straight metal holders would not screw onto. This wouldn't work because the surface was stepped and not flat.

This means that a sort of thing had to be made to which the guttering support could be screwed onto. It had to have a certain shape that would accommodate the various levels of wood. This is what we came up with:
    [​IMG]

Because of the distance, holes had to be sunk so that the screws would reach, at the most distant points...and I had to make five for each side. Here is the first gutter hanging on it's little blocks.
    [​IMG]

Once this was done the other side had to be attached. It was difficult because I have clematis, wisteria and lonicera on the sides of the house and crawling in-between them on a ladder to affix the blocks and so forth was not easy.

Well then, when the gutters were in place on both sides (with a minimal slop), the downpipes, barrels and drainage trajects had to be made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two barrels--one for each roof side. Once that was realized, then trenches had to be dug for the hose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trenches were backfilled and then covered with tiles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the finished project-- the hoses are in place and then the patio can be covered properly on either side.
    [​IMG]

It all looks so straight forward and simple, but it was not, I can tell you that! It was really hot and humid that day. The whole project including the measuring, planning and acquisition of the parts necessary took a couple of weeks. We had to do this in-between other garden chores and the commitments.

Ach...I am pleased with the end result. It looks nice enough, it gathers rainwater and the spillover system channels the excess water away and into the nearby canal. I will just make a nice edging for the back patio (I call it , 'The Rivera because it is along the canal)and spruce-up the little garden there and Bob's yer uncle!
    --Another item checked-off the Master Plan list.

2. Loading...

3. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Congrats on a wonderful job. You make it look easy but as you said, it was anything but. Great that you can utilize the rain water.
    Now, on to the next item on your list!

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow that was a great idea for the gutter supports. It looks really nice. Isn't it fun when a project comes together and is finished. :stew1:

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Wow... that was alot of thinking and working. Great solution though.
    The little house looks so comfy and cute there.
    One question though on your rain barrel. Since the drain is at the top... how do you get the water out when it's not filled all the way to the top?

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

WOW! I need gutters on my building, too. Want to come for a working vacation? My gardening buddy lets me use all kinds of great big hulking pieces of machinery to clean up with....please, pretty please??? I'll let you help with that, too if you want.

All kidding aside, your gutters look perfect for your building. Your watering system is nice and tidy, too. I like it all.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Have to show that to my DH.We need new ones-but will not be until spring.I like the brackets into faslhia board.Was going to have seam-less guy do it. Until I seen his work too small of gutter and down spout.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, that is a great solution to a problem! I'm a big fan of rainwater, and am glad to see you utilizing your guttering to collect it.
    Cheryl, I think the drain is for overflow only--when the barrel gets really full, the water will flow down the pipe, through the buried hose and out to the canal. Isn't that the way it works, Sjoerd?

9. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Ohhh... overflow catcher instead of storing up for reuse.
    That makes sense!

10. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Great job, S., Looking gooooood!!!
    Hank

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Don't you love it when a plan comes together Sjoerd? It looks great :)

12. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Looks good & very clever solution.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey 4-G-- Thanks for your nice reaction. As you say--now on to the next item on the list.

Thanks 2T--It sure is fun when plan comes together; a real feeling of accomplishment. It vindicates the exaggerated planning phase that must be gone through. hahaha.

Hiya Cheryl--Thanks for the nice words. You asked how I get the rainwater out of the barrel to use for watering and so forth.
    Well, I have a variety of plastic watering cans that are small enough to just fit down in there. I just remove the screening that is stretched across the top and dip out a watering can full. Easy-peasy.

Woo-hoo!-- Carolyn, wouldn't I just LURVE to come and help out with your guttering project. Oh dear, and the bonus of being able to play with the "big equipment" too! That's an offer that no one could refuse. chuckle :)
    Actually I really would like to see the setup that you and your man have there. --The equipment, the land, the tunnels, how the markets work and of course the bees. I think that If I lived in the U.S. I might well ask permission if my bride and I could drop by one afternoon to see it all. As I have said before, I'm a teeny-weeny bit jealous of your set up. hahaha.
    Thanks you for your kind remarks concerning my work.

KOSZTA--Thanks you for your compliment. I hope that you can get your gutters sorted sooner rather than later, as I believe that it prevents early rotting on wooden panelling.

Thanks MG-- I appreciate your complimentary comments. You are 100% correct about the drainage technique. It is purely for overflow once the barrel is totally full. It goes into the canal and as you may know--here in Nederland, we have a series of canals that are in "circles" on land that is ever higher. The water is taken from the lower canals and moved up into the next higher level until, it reaches the last canal. Then it is pumped either into the sea or into the IJsselmeer (used to be called Zuider Zee), where it is let into the sea when the tide goes out. This reducing of inland water is carefully monitored and and regulated depending upon rainfall and draughty periods.--But this is another story.

Thanks HANK--Glad you like the looks of it.

I do indeed, NETTY--Thanks.

Thanks you PIANOLADY-- You have been doing some projects yourself of late haven't you.

14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Sjoerd
    Job well done! I'm impressed and it surely will be very functional.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you KAY. Since completeing that project it has already rained and I went there to stand in the rain and watch it work.....I had to be sure. hahaha.

16. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I dream of rain these days Sjoerd!
    Actually received about an inch in the past 24 hrs. We were outdoors watching it fall in amazement.
    No more on the horizon though.
    Good drainage is always a good thing eh? Glad it works well!