Any reason no sea shells in garden?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Gizmo, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

I have some ideas for sea shells in the garden. Does anyone know of any reason I cant use them in the veg, fruit and flower beds. I'v been told because of the salt in them even after I wash them it may kill them.

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

They raise the pH of the soil (i.e. make it more alkaline) so you may want to bear this in mind when deciding here to put them.

How are you thinking of using them Giz and in what quantities?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know some people use crushed seashells for pathways in their gardens Gizmo. However, I'd be inclined to put down a plastic sheet or similar first so that the PH in your soil isn't affected. You could always decorate pots with the shells though which would look lovely. :-D

5. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Living 20 mins from the beach it's a Large quantity (20 years worth) lol! Thought I would try my hand at making some animals out of them... Crab, Frog, ect. Put some around the banana trees (make it look more tropical). I made a lamp out of some of them. I also did the planters on the porch 3 years ago because the cat thought it was her litter box. So I fix her I broke different color and sizes of tiles laying them in the dirt putting shells, sea glass, marbles, broken light house I found, ducks I painted, fish (statute) , fish pebbles, turtles, frog and rocks. It just keeps growing. I've gotten tired of looking at So I'd like to move it to the yard.

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your ideas are just fine Gizmo because you can glue you little creatures on top of a base and then cover it in soil. That way the shells won't be in direct contact with your garden soil. Please send us some piccies of what you make as I, for one, would love to see them. :-D