Any self dead-heading petunia

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, May 17, 2012.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I over heard lady say she had gotten self dead-heading petunia. But went to local place said no-such thing. I have not planted any yet. Make it easy if there was :?: :?:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Rozilla
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The 'Wave' series don't need deadheading .. that was their claim to fame. I do sometimes find they get straggly in the heat of the summer, though.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I have grown waves before. And was dead-heading them. Last year with extreme temps for here in Iowa. Watered them twice a day. But might try some Less sunny area and out of winds.They have some POP out colors. Thanks.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

The wave petunias are what most places use ...I find deadheading petunias really relaxing so I just get the regular ones....I do cut or trim my petunias when they get too long

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Even the waves need deadheading. Otherwise they go to seed. When they are ripening the seeds they fail to make nice flowers. They also need LOTS of fertilizer to keep them nice all through the summer. Expert makes a great one and so does Jack's. Jack's makes a specific one for petunia's, too.

But as many petunias as I have access to, I have never heard of a self-deadheading one.

There is a sterile MARIGOLD though. Very expensive, but does not go to seed.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Koszta, I was at my Moms today and she had some BEAUTIFUL pink petunias on her porch and my sister said they were self-deadheading :eek: :eek: :eek:. I was shocked when she said that and went to look at the tag. It was labeled as a Supertunia and the tag said no need to deadhead it. i guess I learned that there are self deadheading ones today. I haven't heard of them before. None of the varieties in my large catalog had this listed as an advantage of the plant. So it must be a specific producer or company that has a patent on the type of plant that it is and I don't have it available from my supplier.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

One of my customer Cindy Gerard-well known writer. Her Husband Tom has Many baskets and containers of the self-dead heading petunia. He kept seeds and spread them on gravel close to one of the garages.Really pretty. See lot of people slowing down when they go by their house on highway.