Any tips on planting Lily bulblils?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stratsmom, Sep 6, 2010.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Any tips on planting these little bulbils or bulblets? I took some off of my tiger lilies this evening and would like to start them :p

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Here goes. See if I can remember this piece I wrote many moons ago.
    First of all they are basically seeds so treat them as such. Sow now in ordinary seed sowing compost about 1/2 inch deep and well spaced out. I use a deep pot rather than a seed tray. Keep them frost free, but cool and moist but not waterlogged over winter. They usually begin growing in Spring. When they do, begin watering and feed every 2 weeks with dilute liquid feed (Baby Bio or Maxicrop type stuff, not Tomato food). Stop watering and feeding when the leaves begin to go yellow, the following Autumn. Keep frost free and moist over the next Winter and then repot into a deeper pot the following Spring. Keep them growing on like this. This time when they go dormant you may move to individual pots. They take bween 3 to 5 years to reach flowering size.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Groovy! Thank you :-D What's 3-5 years for such a pretty flower? ;)

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Well, if you start some every year, then once they begin flowering, you will have some coming on every year thereafter. Mind what one does with hundreds of the dratted things is more of a puzzle. :)

Advertisement
  6. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

i also had lots of bulbils, some i gave away and some i planted in a pot. not sure when, but i think they stayed outside last cold winter. this spring they were ok, gave one or two leaves.
    now they are planted in the flower garden.
    still small, but i will leave them there.
    see what happens next spring.
    i don't see why they should be potted for the first 1-2 years. if their "mother" is hardy in my area (and it is), i'd say the "babies" should also be fine in the same weather.
    i could be wrong ???
    isn't this how the germinate? the bulbils fall and they start living on their own?
    :)

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Let's put it this way, in my garden there are dozens of Lilium lancifolium, all producing hundreds of bulbils, BUT there are no baby lilies growing round the plants as one would expect if the bulbils managed to survive and grow. At least in a pot there is a good chance that I would actually get some new plants.