Anyone feed Vitamin C to their plants?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Jun 6, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

In cleaning out a cabinet before the dishwasher could be installed, I found a very old bottle of Vit C tablets. I have done some reading up about dissolving them in water to feed plants and even though plants create their own Vit C, feeding them extra during drought and heat helps them handle the stress of a difficult growing time.

Has anyone else fed their plants Vitamin C? I have been thinking I would crush them up, dissolve them in some water use a hose end plant food sprayer to spread it around.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

If none of your plants come down with scurvy you will know why. :) According to some, feeding vitamin C to plants relieves stress and aids in plant cell growth.
    I am not sure but it may also increase vitamin C content in plant leaves that are deficient. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant in humans.

Jerry

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's what a couple of research papers I read online said. Humans need something to help in times of stress and plants do too. I am guessing that, like humans, plants can't overdose on Vit C since none of the papers said anything about a proper dosage or how much is too much.

Soon as the grandkids wake up, they sleep on air mattresses in the livingroom where they can play the Wii as far into the early morning as possible ;) I am going to run the pills through the coffee bean grinder that I also found buried deep in the dark recess of a cabinet.