Anyone know which aruncus it is that is only 4" tall?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Cayuga Morning, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have seen this aruncus (goatsbeard) growing between stone steps in a garden. A great softener that has the added benefit of white blooms in early summer. Anyone know its name? I have never seen it in a nursery. I think I will have to order it on-line.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's most likely to be Aruncus dioicus.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I find myself chuckling at posts like this. So chatty and normal sounding, and yet I have NO clue what on EARTH you're talking about!

An aruncus? What? :eek:

If I weren't on a gardening forum I'd think you must be talking about something out of a Harry Potter novel, y'know, maybe like a spell of some kind, or possibly even a miniature version of a house elf. ;)

5. Cayuga Morning

Ronni----I always enjoy your posts! I saw this miniature goatsbeard growing out of a set of natural stone steps. It was absolutely charming. But you are right, we gardeners are a strange lot. I try to hide it in the other parts of my life!

Eileen---I googled Aruncus dioicus and that grows 4-6 feet. I am looking for a mini that only grows, maybe 4 inches. Thanks though.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've had a look around again for you and I found Aruncus aethusifolius 'Noble Spirits' which is a miniature. However it grows 8 - 12 inches in height not the 4" you are looking for. Are you absolutely sure that the plant you saw was an anuncus and not just a look alike?

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Definitely Aruncus aesthusifolia, but it does grow a little larger than 4 inches in normal conditions. Dead easy from seed too, if you can find someone with a plant.

8. Cayuga Morning

Thanks so much Eileen & Palustris. Maybe I could just ask the owner of the garden where I saw it growing for seeds.