Anyone with an English cottage garden out there?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by ashcats03, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ashcats03

ashcats03 New Seed

Hi all, I am attempting to put in a cottage garden where my front yard used to be. Any advice on set up, plants (unfortunately I have alot of shade in the area), stonework etc. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When I think 'cottage garden' I think of Hollyhocks, Foxglove, Delphiniums,Roses and Cleome.

I would think, like the info on the site Eileen posted, the cottage garden is more a look than a list of plants. Especially since some of the plants in the English Cottage Garden might not grow in your climate. Or plants like Foxglove, being poisonous, you might not want if you have children or pets that might nibble on them but you could substitute Canterbury Bells Campanula medium.

Plants grown close together, falling over pathways, birdbaths and feeders, benches, trellises. If you can't do a stone wall to enclose it, try picket fence panels.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Yep! What they said :D I immediately thought hollyhocks and foxglove :-D The bird baths are a must!
    I'd like to put some bricks or stonework in my little cottage garden but don't think my husband is very willing :rolleyes: One word of advice I would offer is this: GIVE YOURSELF TIME!! It may take a couple of years for you to get your garden the way you want it :-D Mine is starting to come together, I've been at it 6 summers now! It is a continual work in progress ;) Have Fun!!
    Deanna
    :-D

6. ashcats03

ashcats03 New Seed

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am enclosing the garden with a picket fence, and am planning a couple benches and trellises. I am also making several flagstone pathways through the garden, and have a fountain to put in. Bird baths and houses are a great idea. Guess I'm not doing so bad after all!