Apple Days

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah, these are Apple Days here. Harvesting, processing and consumption. Applesauce, apple flaps and apple pie. Good heavens, I enjoy them!

It is still raining here, so early this morning we headed out to McD’s for a sausage-egg McMuffin for a discreet breakfast. We went out to the supermarket after that to pick up a couple of things that could not wait until the big order day.

We went in with four things on the list and came away with two large shopping bags and a loose pack of milk cartons. We saw things we had not thought of, some of which were on sale. There will be Lasagna Bolognaise for supper this evening.

I discovered a couple of sweet things to have with the tea this afternoon. They were not a necessity, but a nice and unusual treat.

I am missing the garden now, and there is still quite a lot to do. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Today we dis some inside things. The windows needed washing. We do this together and it goes fairly quickly.

After that we settled down for some apple pie and tea, put on the Classical music . The Bride went for her book and I read the news. Cosy.

I wonder how your day went today. Surely not everyone has rain.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well strangely enough we haven't had any rain today. However it was really, really cold and we couldn't even get any weeding done as our fingers were freezing after just a couple of minutes.
    The birds were really hungry and almost mobbed me when I went out to feed them. Poor blackbirds couldn't get to the worms as the earth was so hard.

4. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Was overcast this morning but now it's raining. I got a little bit done in the garden, but now I'm thinking of making banana bread and zucchini brownies. Baking is nice on rainy days.
    I have the same problem, Sjoerd. I go to the store for 1 or 2 things and come out with bags.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Eileen— has it begun freezing at night over there? Poor birds.

Willow—Baking is nice on rainy days. Those two things you mentioned sound tasty.

Willowisp0801, eileen and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  6. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

The description of your day made me smile Sjoerd. What a lovely day.

I had to look up "apple flaps"...I assumed they were an apple pancake or flapjack. What do my wondering eyes appear, but puff pastry turnovers. ( nom nom nom). We have a town day tomorrow and I'm excited to get some puff pastry ( so time consuming to make from scratch). And an apple fritter for Hubby will be on the shopping list as well.

It sounds like a great day Sjoerd. :)

marlingardener and Willowisp0801 like this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I went to the bank today and they have an albino chipmunk living in the yard of the house behind their parking lot. This is a picture of the picture on my phone. I can never get my phone pictures to upload on here. You can't see it in the picture but his eyes were red. He's so cute! 16981045370548249467819646321456.jpg

Daniel W and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

16981051897578479867181537493899.jpg

Here's the picture my granddaughter took through the car window.

Frank and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel—Perhaps it world have been easier to find if you had used the dutch word, appelflappen. I just tried to literally translate it for the readers.
    Well, you found it anyway.
    So today you are heading to the big city. Good luck there on all counts.

I can’t wait til you get back and hope you will show us what wonderful things you can do with your hands, Be sure and take pics of your appelflappen.

Melody Mc. and Willowisp0801 like this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I looked up the recipe, using the dutch word. It took a bit before I finally found one in English. I might try it in the near future.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Willow, they are super easy and quick to make if you buy puff pastry sheets, if you make your own filo dough, it can tak longer of course. I like making filo dough to bake with, but do not always use it. After a work day in the lottie, frankly I do not feel like spending the time.
    Good luck with your flappers and have fun on your hols.

Willowisp0801 and Melody Mc. like this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Alas - I must wait one more week. The grocery did not have any puff pastry and I'm still too pooped to consider making it from scratch. They said they would have some by next week :)

Cayuga Morning, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké.
    Good luck when you can get to them. They are so tasty.

14. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

16987956320033693497713458764996.jpg Happy snowy Halloween!

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

OM Odness, Willow !
    I had not counted on that. —So much, so soon.

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  16. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Yeah, I wasn't ready for it either. We were late to work/school that morning because my granddaughter couldn't find her winter coat. She's sure it didn't get left in the lost and found at school last year.....I'm thinking otherwise. Our house isn't that big. So we went out to buy her a new coat after work/school. That picture is what we got home to. Driving wasn't the greatest, either.

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.