Aqua Caulies

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

IMG_2575.jpeg

One lovely, rainy day out in the countryside, a farmer and his workers were harvesting cauliflowers. One of the workers driving the tractor pulling a container with 800 crates of caulies took the corner too sharply and ka-splonk ! —hundreds of cauliflowers went into the canal.

In the foto above you see farm owner standing in the sloot (small rural canal), surrounded by his bobbing loss. For some reason, the caulies cannot now be sold to the supermarkets for consumption. What to do now?

They cannot go to the other commercial places or Food Banks, so he said that the whole load will be spread back over the fields to compost.

You can see, in this last foto the setting. What you see is the narrow bridge over the canal, some of the crates and cauliflowers backed-up there and the trailer in-which the white veg heads had been loaded (up on the road)
    IMG_2574.jpeg

What a shame. If they could have been used, I wonder if they would have been known as “aqua caulies”.

Addendum: Notice the side opening of the farmer’s bibbed waders were under the water level. Can you imagine how much water fits inside the legs!? I wonder how he was able to climb out of that sloot.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    Pacnorwest and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...