Are winter pansies the same as regular pansies?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by EJ, Sep 3, 2007.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I have pansy seeds and wondered if I sowed some now would I have lovely flowers over our new milder winters??

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The only difference between spring/summer pansies and autumn/winter ones are that the a/w ones are hardier than the earlier ones. I have different types of pansies in my garden that flower twice a year and only die back if there are really prolonged and severe frosts. Here are the names of some of them for you if it's any help.

Hiemalis - Mixed
    Clear Crystals - mixed
    Joker F2 - mixed
    Pansy Can F1 - Mixed
    and
    Friolina - mixed

As you can see I like mixed packs more than just packs of one specific colour.

You can also get some lovely hardy violas that look very dainty during the colder weather. :-D

4. WTxDaddy

WTxDaddy In Flower

pansies

We only have one kind of pansy here in West Texas - the "Winter" kind. Our Summers are far too hot for them. Our Winters are pretty mild compared to the Northern part of the U.S., so we can have year-round color with pansies & violas. Last year, I saw & bought a flower called a "panola" - which purported tobe a cross between a pansy & a viola. They were pretty & seemed pretty hardy and did better than my pansies overall. This past Spring, however, was so wet for us & so much cooler well into the middle of Summer, that I actually had pansies thriving & blooming into late June. This is very unusual. The hardiest ones in my experience are the yellow w/ black blotch faces.