Are your seeds ordered for next year, yet?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by carolyn, Dec 22, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I got my box of seeds yesterday and pulled all of my left over seeds and tags out of their boxes and nooks and crannies and organized them for next year. I already planted some of my geraniums, herbs and pansies this week for next year.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

All my seed packets have 100 to 1000 seeds in them. None of them are sold by weight, which makes it easier for me to not have to figure out how many seeds will be in each packet when I need to be growing by the number not the weight.

About 50 packs of seeds = a boat load of $$$.
    [​IMG]

This is most of my seeds for next year except for a few from a couple other companies.

[​IMG]

Tags...

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've received my first (note "first"!) shipment of seeds. These are the ones I either need to start early in January, or ones I can't get anywhere else. I have a list of other seeds I'll be ordering in January after I get the majority of our catalogs, and share with neighboring gardeners. We combine our orders and save on shipping or by buying in bulk.
    I have some seeds left from last year that I'll test the viability before planting. Nothing more disappointing than putting in a row of something, and only about 10% germinate.
    Carolyn, that is an amazing assortment of seeds!

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Here are some of the left over from last year and perhaps previous of that too.

[​IMG]

Then of course there are all the seeds I have saved and aren't even on the table.

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

O.O Thats a lot of seeds, holy cow!

Im waiting til after Christmas, want to see if I get gift certificates for Botanical Interests or Prairie Moon before getting any. And I have plenty from last year that need to be planted.

Advertisement
  6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

My seed cabinet. First shelf is seeds I have collected. Second shelf is all flower seeds.
    Third shelf is all veggie seeds. And they are all in alphabetical order. Plus I have a box if refrigerator.
    My first seed order arrived last week. Now if it was only spring time. :stew1:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

carolyn likes this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow you guys......very cool.....

I will be doing seeds this year. I will be out in the greenhouse the first of the year. Should be interesting for me.

Wish I could do all that you guys do. I just don't have enough time..... You are all such busy busy bees... :p

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there, miz C-- what a wonderful sight that is! I almost drool. It has some sort of amazing effect on me--it sort of makes my yearning for seed-ordering time to arrive very strong...not to mention SPRING.

I have not yet ordered my seeds...I do that in the middler of january each year. Most of my seeds I get from the gardening society for a cut-rate price. I also order special seeds from T&M at that time as well and my seed spuds I get also at that time. I do have a list ready though.

Great posting...and didn't Donna's stuff look good.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow, Donna! you rock! I am not that organized. My stuff is usually all jumbled and messy until now when I need to know what I have and what I need to order. I still have a bunch of seeds that I saved that aren't in the stuff on the table.

Bip, I grow to sell, too. I don't ue that all for me. I do farmers markets all summer long and sell plants from my greenhouse, too. Good luck on those certificates. I hpe you get what you need. You can always post a list of "looking for" in the seed forum.

Barb, starting the seeds isn't the time consuming pat, it is the growing until it is time to put it out. They dry out so fast in the Spring sunshine, but give it a try and see what ou can get started yourself. You are really paying someone else for their time, not the seeds themselves. Usually the seeds are cheap, but the flats, soiless mixes, tags and fertilizer are the things that start adding up.

S, get cracking....Spring is almost here. Just 3 more months, officially.

Got to go...bye